Collette - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
Former Employee - District Sales Manager

Pros

Travel industry is a fun industry. Work from home. Good pay.

Cons

Micro managed. Management even monitored your phone calls that were made from your home.

Advice to Management

Don't micro manage

Other Employee Reviews for Collette

"Upper management has some issues"

Former Employee - Tour Manager/Guide
    Former Employee - Tour Manager/Guide

Pros

Worked as a guide for multiple yrs. Initially they actually trained you on tours but once the economy went south many people are sent out on cold tours with not much useful info. They do keep you busy with work which is good but since you an employee they will send you where they choose and for as long as they want. I was fortunate in that I had a great boss and my assignments were pretty much what I liked to do. People internally actually were attentive but change could not always be achieved due to upper mgmt restrictions. They will send you anywhere in the world which for some is a good thing. They allow a guide to tweak the intinerary to make things work. You often have to as the way the itinerary is written a tour is impossible to run

Cons

Many destinations do not employ any local guides or if they do provide them only for a day or two. This is difficult for a US based guide unless you really have knowledge or passion for a destination. Difficult to sell overpriced options or cutting down of included features due to mgmt wanting to make more money. Pay is ok but found other companies pay better with less hassles. Like many family run business you have family members employed. Some do a great job and others are lousy. How do you criticize a family member to your boss when things are screwed up?
    Since they use salesmen to fill the buses you do get some overzealous salesmen type to build expectations to levels no one could ever achieve. When things go wrong there is a lot of pressure to keep people happy since your upsetting a 'group' vs just an individual. Sometimes having multiple groups on one coach can be very challenging.

Advice to Management

The layoffs of 2008/2009 were a textbook example of how not to treat people. There was abolutely no warning, no compassion, no letter of regret, nothing just a 2 minute phone call with no severance and a few seconds before your e mail and voicemail were deleted. The layoff was pure Dan Sullivan. Many senior guides with many yrs of service were let go. Obvious to all you were getting rid of better paid guides and office workers for you to make more money. Statements to the press of how 'we are just one big happy family" were sickening to read. Now that more staff is needed you are hiring brand new people never calling anyone who you let go. I thank you for the experience so that I can work for your competitors and find much better run companies. If you like a use em and abuse em style of mgmt Collette is a great place to work. It is really difficult to represent a company who presents themseves as a philanthropic organization and yet treats people as disposables. A measure of greatness is how you treat people in bad times as well as good and you fail miserably as a human being. Hoping Karma comes around to bite you.

2. "Fun Atmosphere, Free Tours is a Huge Plus, Management is Trained Well"

Former Employee - Group Sales in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Group Sales in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at Collette full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collette has a culture that encourages you to grow within the company. After you've been with the company for a few months management will schedule you with meetings in other departments in order to learn more about the company and the industry. Management makes quite an effort to ensure that employees are happy with events every month and the celebration of major holidays within the office.

Another huge upside about working here is the opportunity to go on the tours for free! I myself haven't been on one, but employees who have worked at the company for a year or more are able to apply to be selected for tours all around the world. If you spend your career here you could easily visit all 7 continents on tours.

In my personal experience I received great constructive criticism. Any time I was talked to about something that I needed to work it was handled very well. When you are doing well they let you know as well as when you need to improve.

Employees are trained very well.

Cons

Compensation for entry level positions is mediocre, and the raises aren't very good. Your future within the company can be somewhat ambiguous, at least when starting in the call center.

Advice to Management

In the call center we were routinely told how important we are to the company, yet our pay did not reflect that sentiment. Increase compensation or raise prospects for lower positions.