Columbia Distributing Company - Hard work, good experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Columbia Distributing Company

"Hard work, good experience"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Merchandiser in Portland, OR

I worked at Columbia Distributing Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the pros include industry exposure, team environment, strong management and leadership. Hands on experience in the foundation of the company as a merchandiser.

Cons

Often early, long hours. Sometimes unclear on when and where you were supposed to be. Lack of communication regarding expectations with your particular route.

Advice to Management

More recognition and support for those working hard

Other Employee Reviews for Columbia Distributing Company

1. "The continuation of an interesting journey."

I have been working at Columbia Distributing Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large, growing company. Well financed, well run organization.

Cons

Old software, behind the times where technology is concerned.

Advice to Management

Upgrade and invest more in your employees ability to connect.

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Salem, OR

I worked at Columbia Distributing Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great coworkers on the team. Chance to work independently. It's a job.

Cons

Terrible management. They pay 11$/hr and regardless of the effort you put into your work, there is never a mention of raises (this wage is a smack in the face when Pepsi, Coke, and Southern pay considerably more and deal with way less product.) Micromanagement of hours as managers are paid incentives based on limitation of merchandiser's hours (as if it's not bad enough that they pay them terrible....) You use your own vehicle and prior to employment, are expected to raise your liability limits which raises your monthly payment, which of course, Columbia doesn't compensate you for. The daily routing seems unorganized (how does starting in Keizer then driving to Stayton seem efficient??) During the busy season, they would have me drive over to help someone, sometimes only to find they didn't even need help (thanks guys, it's only my gas money right??) During a snowstorm in my area, they expected me to risk my life and endanger myself to put soda on a shelf, talk about scummy. Did I mention that Pepsi had two paid days off through the snowstorm, again, Columbia doesn't care about you. I even remember a coworker who got in a car accident. The only concern Columbia had was could he finish his route, scummy!!!

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management starts catering just a bit more to the guys that actually do the work. Columbia seems to praise the sales/driving team but crap on the merchandisers. The pay rate is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves for allowing it. This football player that bought out the company should remember where he came from, since he claims he came from the bottom. I guess he forgot all about the bottom...