Columbia Sussex - Okay for Bartenders, Servers and other positions that receive gratuity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Columbia Sussex

"Okay for Bartenders, Servers and other positions that receive gratuity."

Current Employee - Bartender in Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Bartender in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Columbia Sussex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel perks! They own some great branded hotels. You can find work at allot of their properties. Times are tough as we all know. If you need to make some money you can do just fine if you look.

Cons

They have some crazy policies that are applied to all their properties. They call it spec. So if you visit a hotel in NY you will find the same menu in FL. Common sense is hard to find.

Advice to Management

Management should pay more attention to their staff. "Good people have good ideas" Listen with an open mind and you might learn something.

Other Employee Reviews for Columbia Sussex

1. "Not so of a great place to be at"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time

Pros

nothing pro about it!!! stay away.

Cons

before applying google Columbia Sussex. company do not care about associates, only pocketing their pockets. Corporations need to be more caring toward employees and pay a competitive rates. Managing company (columbia sussex) need to do a better job in taking care of properties, and the well being of the associates.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff fair, with respect and pay your employees competitively.

2. "Stay Far Way From This Poison"

Former Employee - Bartender in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Woburn, MA

I worked at Columbia Sussex part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free employee meals, hotel discount

Cons

The worst place I have ever worked in all of my 45 years of life. Inconsistent, lack of training programs, full blown racism towards women, always spoke down to, no respect, support or supervision. My manager was a total jerk, I worked in the bar he would on rare occasions show his face and pretend to be helpful (only when upper management were in the building). He would completely ignore the bar guests, no greeting no interaction. He quickly acquired a nickname by many of the guests that was not so kind.
    This hotel also at times does not provide clean sheets when a new guest have arrived. If they are out of linen, they do not get changed, they just get flipped over. EWWW They had a severe problem with bedbugs, oh gosh I wonder why??? Could be a fantastic place to work, sadly will never be unless they clean house and start fresh with a whole new management team, starting top to middle management.
    Honestly and fairly this is just a really bad company to work for. I currently work for another Hilton under Urgo Hotel Group. Great place to work, they "get it", and their employees are Happy.........

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same, the small guy at the bottom to the one on top, they are your bread and butter, if they are not happy in their work environment then the guest will sense that and eventually choose another brand to stay at. More incentives, training and supervision across the bored. Support your employees, if you receive complaints from your employees follow up and respond. I wrote a l wrote a letter to all of the senior management 10 month's ago, still waiting for a response.