Columbia University - Great place to build a career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Columbia University

"Great place to build a career"

Pros

Columbia is a dynamic place where I've been able to grow as a professional and in my personal life. There's great work-life balance and there are always opportunities to learn something new. For the most part, my colleagues have always been intelligent and dedicated to their work.

Cons

Staffing academics is always a challenge as management and leadership are not their core competencies. Columbia, like most old-school higher-ed organizations, operates very slowly. They have good reason for proceeding thoughtfully, but you need to be prepared to deal with a slow-moving, complex bureaucracy on a daily basis.

Other Employee Reviews for Columbia University

"Postdoctoral Research Scientist"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Scientist in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University (More than 3 years)

Pros

Columbia University has a very good reputation (Ivy league!), I was working with very smart people, the funding situation was good even though the current general funding situation in the US is bad.

Cons

working long hours (12+) and working on Saturdays obligatory, very tense, competitive and disrespectful working environment.
    I love science, but this position almost completely spoiled it for me. I was very unhappy
    at Columbia University and many of my fellow post docs in the same lab, but also in other labs, felt the same way.
    Columbia University housing (as compared to Rockefeller for example) not to be recommended.

2. "Teaching assistant in large (180+) core curriculum course."

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

While it is a standard doctoral support option to become a teaching assistant in a large undergraduate course, I found it rewarding to be on the team of 6 teaching assistants and to have close access to a world-leading faculty member.

Cons

It was frustrating at times to defer course management decisions to other TAs with little or no teaching experience, but more content knowledge.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of doctoral candidates with significant teaching experience in managing large courses for which they TA. Even giving minimal attention to the dynamics of TA teams with members strong in content knowledge and others strong in pedagogical skills will improve student experience of large core curriculum courses.