Employee Review

Current Employee

Great experience so far

May 14, 2021 - PhD Student in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Professors are so smart and helpful People are nice

Cons

It's a little bit stressful

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Graduate Research Assistant at GSAS/ ISERP

Jun 11, 2021 - Research Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning scope with knowledgeable professors

Cons

The usual pay for research assistants anywhere

2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Talented colleagues, always opportunities to learn

May 18, 2021 - Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I worked with were among the most talented colleagues I've had. I really enjoyed their competency and ability to deliver high quality deliverables and outcomes. I also loved being surrounded by ideas and opportunities to learn about new topics from the world's top experts. Working at a place like Columbia allows you to do high-profile work at a high level, which is exciting. Also, there were a broad array of benefits.

Cons

Higher education can be very political. Whom you are aligned with can matter more than how well you are able to contribute--this can lend itself to a tribal-like thinking that is demotivating and difficult to navigate. I found Columbia to be similar to other higher education institutions in this way. Also, when I worked there, some of the top leadership was against working remotely. Columbia is very decentralized, so how this played out depended on what unit or school you worked in and the type of work you did. For me, the inflexibility of some leaders on the topic was disappointing.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Columbia University.