KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An industrial manufacturing company on the move

Feb 14, 2020 - Digital Marketing Strategist in Getzville, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

With a history spanning over 150 years, Columbus McKinnon is a global company at the forefront of innovation in lifting and smart motion control technology. Some of the most iconic products in Columbus McKinnon's portfolio like the CM Cyclone (1904) and CM Lodestar (1955) have been around for decades and have set the industry standard for overhead lifting. Made up of a family of brands including STAHL CraneSystems, Magnetek, Duff-Norton, Chester Hoist, Little Mule, and more, Columbus McKinnon is positioned to dominate the smart motion control industry. Coming from a small business background, it's interesting and challenging to work within a company of this scale, with so many brands, and with teams around the world. Columbus McKinnon continues to build upon its brand legacy as a leader in innovation with the world’s first HMI-certified ratchet lever hoist, CM Smart ID radio frequency identification, and CM Hi-Tech automation technology. The Magnetek brand is pioneering the use of variable frequency and wireless crane controls with a focus on automation. STAHL CraneSystems and Chester Hoist are leaders in custom, complex, and explosion-proof material handling products. Safety is at the forefront of everything at Columbus McKinnon. Products are designed with safety in mind for workers across a broad spectrum of industries. The professional training team at Columbus McKinnon is comprised of a group of individuals with very diverse backgrounds and a great deal of experience, several of which are members and leaders of industry and safety organizations. CMCO trainers have no sales goals or directives, they are entirely dedicated to delivering the highest quality training possible to promote safe use of products. In my experience, across all departments, Columbus McKinnon employees are smart, talented, driven, and personable. Columbus McKinnon is guided by a customer-centric mission, vision, and values, raising expectations for how the business should operate and driving value to its stakeholders. These include being easy to do business with, delivering on their commitments, thinking differently, acting with integrity, and winning as a team. They are currently working on mentorship programs, women's leadership initiatives, and career growth paths for interested employees.

Cons

Columbus McKinnon is working with some dated internal systems and is in the process of adopting more efficient digital tools. The recently launched product parts selector tool and custom product configurator offer simplified options for customers while the company is heavily investing in marketing technologies and customer service/sales tools to streamline the customer experience. The industry is very behind in modern marketing strategy and Columbus McKinnon is heavily investing in marketing to be among the first in the industry to catch up.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love it

Jan 26, 2021 - Team Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and office space

Cons

Management may need some work.

1 person found this review helpful

Columbus McKinnon Response

Director Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear your comments around our office space and benefits. We truly appreciate your candor around the topic of management and as an enterprise we have been focusing in the area of leadership development. We would appreciate your insight and ideas around what more we could be doing in this space. Please reach to your local HR representative to engage in additional dialogue.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee

Toxic leadership

Aug 17, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is very competitive, which is what initially sucks you in. The people are great. The tuition reimbursement is really cool. Opportunities for stock.

Cons

One of the most unprofessional places I’ve worked. The executives create a toxic environment that cascades. Yelling, sending heated emails with a dozen people on copy, manipulation, favoritism, all common behaviors. My entire department turned over in a couple years and I’m pretty sure the person who drove them away didn’t even get a slap on the wrist. Tuns out they had driven off many before. No care for employees, work/life balance was nonexistent, forced to work on what was supposed to be paid holidays off, and executives forced us back in the office during the worst of Covid while skimping on sanitation. Technology is decades behind, causing a ton of tedious, manual work that gets audited, and you get chewed out if a mistake is found. Always a day late and a dollar short on staffing.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

Columbus McKinnon Response

Director Talent

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry you had this experience. HR has elevated your concerns to the appropriate leadership team to look for opportunities of improvement.

Discover more reviews about Columbus McKinnon.