Comcast - Good Pay, Great Benefits, Poor Leadership and Customer service! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Comcast

"Good Pay, Great Benefits, Poor Leadership and Customer service!"

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is decent compared to most companies. The benefits are great! In addition to medical benefits, you also receive employee perks and discounts with alot of major companies.

Cons

Where do I start? Comcast are bullies. All they care about is money. They are a multi billion dollar company who doesn't give two squats about their customers. It really bothers me because I have worked in several depts over the years and it's the same attitude. I am literally ashamed to tell others in public I work for them because it's almost ALWAYS a horror story to follow.

Advice to Management

Start caring for your customers. You should here what they say about our customer service. I've sat with customers while they've called into customer service and it's a nightmare!

Other Employee Reviews for Comcast

"Frustrating, gut wrenching, indubitably bland, and life changing."

Former Employee - CAE III Retention in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - CAE III Retention in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Comission structure pre April 2014
    - Co workers were a joy to be around
    - Immediate Supervisor was quite possibly the best mentor one could ask for in a ruthless industry such as
      cable/telecommunications
    - Location was perfect for those moments where I had to take an early break to release the arduous amounts of stress (Mountain air and views)
    - Immediate Supervisor pushed the team based on our unique ways in handling complex situations and motivated us on an individual basis. This was a strategy that worked because it was not rooted in dollar amounts.
    - Generous 401k company match 5% and EXCELLENT benefits with regards to health and perks

Cons

The challenges in this job were absolutely soul crushing...
    - Inbound phone calls from the most ruthless and ridiculous customer base I have ever worked with
    - Metrics were increasingly absurd in how it measured sales as the number one factor when the job was about retaining customers who were intent on cancelling their subscription (I understand the business idea behind this but the metrics were far and away from the reality of things)
    - Rampant unethical behavior in the Sales department forced Retention agents (including myself) to fix accounts rather than focus on saving business. However, upper management either didn't care or did not want to address the problem. This in turn led to rampant turnover rates and fostered a sweep it under the carpet mentality
    - Encouragement was through dollar amounts rather than actually helping customer's fix their obvious account issues. Overseas billing could not quite understand their own systems let alone company wide information. This brings me to my next point......
    -COMPLETE LACK OF INTERNAL COMMUNICATION. I cannot stress enough that the main reason in which I was utterly exhausted everyday stemmed from the constant battle that took place with customers on the phone. It almost always centered on false promises by previous billing and sales reps or advertising that was NOT consistent. Beyond frustrating.
    - Mediocre pay in the grand scheme of things due to high tax rates on monthly commission checks. Comcast has no control over the reps being taxed like it's a bonus but the company purposefully does this in order to not shell out too much money to its employees. I can't say I blame Comcast but it can be quite annoying come payday to see 800-1000 removed from one check a month. Ugh.

Advice to Management

Adhere to the company mantra and make sure departments are doing their best in fixing internal communication. Start with revamping the system and have promotional pricing standard through each division ie. West, Central, and Northeast.

Remove the rampant unethical behavior that allows for Sales reps to gain dollars in their commission checks and screws Retention reps in constant account disconnects. You can't tie employee pay to a system that accepts and encourages unethical behavior and expect for satisfied customer's and employees. Most employees want to be honest with how they conduct business and not resort to manipulation tactics and blatant lies just to make sure they have food on the table. It's a plague that seemingly increased in numbers starting mid 2013.

2. "It was okay."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was always a new challenge waiting for me each day. I was able to reach a good work-life balance.

Cons

I didn't feel like I was a part of a collaborative team. I mean, we all worked together, but we didn't work well together.

Advice to Management

Employees have good ideas, listen to them!