Commonwealth of Massachusetts - I was an ADA for 11 years, trying all types of felonies from narcotics violations to murder | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts

"I was an ADA for 11 years, trying all types of felonies from narcotics violations to murder"

Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA
Current Employee - Assistant District Attorney in Brockton, MA

I have been working at Commonwealth of Massachusetts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing trial experience, great people

Cons

Money is not good. Very stressful job

Advice to Management

Company values are skewed

Other Employee Reviews for Commonwealth of Massachusetts

1. "Lack of professional respect and poor compensation"

Former Contractor - Attorney for the MA Committee for Public Counsel Services in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

As an independent contractor, representing indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, I could set my own hours, which allowed for some flexibility. However, as an attorney I, of course, had to meet the demands of representing my clients and our professional standards.

Cons

Contract attorneys, who represent indigent clients through the MA Committee For Public Counsel Services, are paid very, very poorly. I understand that it's taxpayer money, but the micromanagement that goes into overseeing the attorneys by the Committee For Public Counsel Services is overly burdensome and time consuming. Everything must be justified and everything is questioned, from billing to professional judgments made in representing clients. I don't know of many (any?) contract attorneys who wouldn't rather be practicing law in another setting, no matter how dedicated they are to providing equal justice for the indigent.

Advice to Management

Heed the recommendations of the Massachusetts Bar Association Blue Ribbon Commission on Criminal Justice Attorney Compensation, whose report was issued in May, 2014. It can be found on the Massachusetts Bar Association website. Search for attorney compensation. The report will come up at the top of the list.

2. "Postive workforce"

Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - COII in Boston, MA

Pros

salary, benefits, clean environment, ability for advancement

Cons

investment in employee stressors., suicide prevention

Advice to Management

engage in positive dialog to increase awareness of and prevention of employee burnout