Community Education Centers - work with medical contracts | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Community Education Centers

"work with medical contracts"

I have been working at Community Education Centers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Boss who encourges professional growth

Cons

Minimal growth opportunities for middle mangement

Advice to Management

Employees need recognition and not always in financial form

Other Employee Reviews for Community Education Centers

"OK stepping stone in Counseling, but it's definitely who you know NOT how hard you work and more qualified"

Former Employee - Entry Level Substance Abuse Counselor
    Former Employee - Entry Level Substance Abuse Counselor

I worked at Community Education Centers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a chance to positively impact the lives of incarcerated men and women. I am a female and I worked in the male prisons in2 different states. Your work ethic is easily recognizable among the DOC staff and sometimes CEC management, depending on the location you work. If you are under the right management and site, you career can take off!

People with criminal backgrounds (at the discretion of the Warden) are allowed to work in the prisons or community corrections.

Cons

--Terrible pay. I reached management position as clinical supervisor. I had a CADC and I got paid more than the person who had a Master's degree (almost $10,000 more). I did not hold a Masters degree at the time. However, I don't think that a person with a Master's pay should be anywhere in the 20K or low 30K.
    --Unqualified, unprofessional, emotionally driven, overly personal staff members are hired and kept on the job and even advance in supervisor positions. This company is all about who you know and who likes you. I knew a supervisor who failed her CADC test 3 times and was able to keep have her job as a clinical supervisor. When the company downsized many supervisors were laid off, but she got to keep her position all because she worked closely with the 2nd in charge of the state.
    --This Company does not value their good, ethically wound, and articulate staff members. They take us for granted. and there is no support when the overly-personal staff with poor writing skills are falling behind, they double the work on the hardworking person.
    ---I know every place has politics, but this is very discouraging especially when the pay is laughable.

Advice to Management

---Increase the pay-scale to be worthy of drawing in talented people. Entry level counselors with BA should get $28,000 to $32,000. Mid-level counselors should fall between $33,000 to $35,000. Supervisors should start at High 37K to mid 40s (with CADC, Master's degree, work experience). You can at least get some half-way decent folks.

---Encourage educational training to ALL staff members at ALL sites. Support the counselors who want to improve their knowledge base by helping provide coverage, offer comp time, create a helpful environment.

---Hold your senior directors accountable to both ethical and moral standards.
    ---CEC curriculum should remain clinical. DOC should have nothing to do with the curriculum and treatment plans. They are only there to provide security. The sites I knew, CEC had their own documentation forms and worked autonomously. But other CEC programs contracted with DOC, allow DOC to provide the treatment plans and forms. It's largely punitive and not tailored to the individual. Therefore, the treatment is questionable.

I left on great terms because I was hard working and responsible. I started most of my experience in one location and our site was great!! I know if I was to reapply, CEC would def take me back.....but I left and many others left because CEC is mostly unprofessional and they look to burn you out so they can hire someone at a cheaper rate.

2. "shift Superviosr"

Pros

25 vacations days a year and 7 sickdays

Cons

not much room for adancement, the work out weighs the pay, very stressful enviroment, being mandated for another shift when someone calls out