Community Gatepath - Poor values/should be shut down | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Community Gatepath

"Poor values/should be shut down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Community Gatepath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Once you start working with and/or for children and adults with disabilities, it is difficult to leave the work because of how rewarding it is.
-If you have many obligations in your life, you can call out from work 1-2 times/week without penalty.
-You can move up the ladder quickly if you make friends with upper management (director-level). With a GED or AA you can be a manager of a department.
-There are many opportunities to volunteer your time after working your shift

Cons

This is NOT a company that puts staff (direct care/middle management) first.
Competent staff that have been with the agency for 10-15 years continue to make $12-13 an hour, when starting employees make $15 with no experience (same level of education). There is a glass ceiling for staff and very little training is provided. The mentality is typically "what we can get away with" or "finding the loop holes" rather than "support team."

-Promotions are possible through "reorgs," where secret planning is conducted, promotions are promised behind closed doors, and announced later. Sometimes promotions are not announced at all (people find out by the title change at the bottom of an employees e-mail signature). This has led to excessive low morale amongst staff when significantly under qualified staff are promoted (sometimes when their friends blatantly promote them). Even though management has communicated there are no more 'reorgs,' this continues to happen every summer. The company eliminates critical positions, demotes staff without a discussion - all behind closed doors! Then there is a flyer e-mailed out to reflect new and often detrimental changes.

-EXTREMELY HIGH turnover across the board (from direct care to executive staff). I can think of at least 8 current employees that are looking for a new job. Many employees have reported depression and/or developed drinking problems after starting work with the company. My guess is because of feeling stuck or demoralised from upper management (HR, executive team, directors).

-Marketing, the executive team, and CEO often avoid interaction with clients, typically the adults with developmental disabilities and direct care staff. These people are also highly disconnected from programming (may have never been to the programs).
-Clients that are picked for public awards are usually ones that are "easy on the eyes."

The agency recently started striving for "world class services," but they fail to invest money in training staff or hiring individuals with specialities in these "world class" areas.The CEO typically runs with an idea that management is expected to implement in a few short weeks. They consistently start new programs without a pilot run, thoughtful brainstorms, or asking critical staff members what is working.

Advice to Management

-Put clients first. Do not sacrifice quality of programs by over-working direct care staff with low ratios.
-Announce open positions fairly and interview internally.
-Develop protocol for underperforming staff.
-Build on current staff's strengths (not best guess strengths).
-Get to know your direct reports (can you name at least 3 personal details about them?)
-Let staff know their department goals, what they should focus on.
-Give corrective feedback to staff, and listen to them.

Other Employee Reviews for Community Gatepath

"Leaders make decisions without talking to staff or thinking about how it will affect their work."

Current Employee - Instructor in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers who aren't in Leadership are really cool and good to work with. I met friends at this company. Not because of the company, but because people who have a good heart usually pick this kind of job.

Good benefits. Dental, medical, sick days, vacations.

When I think about how bad my days are and then I think of one of my disabled clients, I'm grateful for what I have. They give my life more meaning.

Cons

Ridiculous high turnover. People who are constantly leaving. Executive team members. 5 and 10 and 15 year veterans. People who only have the job for a week come in and quit.

Leaders walk into our buildings without even talking to our disabled clients. They say hi to us once in a while but they treat the staff sometimes like we're not important.

Leaders don't know what's going on in the programs. Sometimes a parent of a client would complain about how bad the program is and the upper management hears about it and they make sudden changes based on one phone call from a donor. The staff all think "That's been a problem for a year. Why didn't you make the changes when WE told you about it?"

I'm worried that I've been involved in shady things. The company has lost our files so they made our supervisors sign job descriptions and annual review forms... and we had to put the date from 1 and 2 years ago. Isn't that illegal? We're all scared to lose our jobs so we just do what they ask us. We had our CARF review who are the people who give us our accreditation. They one day the CARF auditors came to look at our sites, they made staff and participants leave because if there are too many of them in the building. There are usually 20 more people in the building than there should be. Of course the day that CARF came the building looked perfect. People from the outside don't see how bad it is on the inside.

Clients are in our programs who could get their own independent job. They're smart enough to do it but instead we keep them in the day programs because we make more revenue when they're in our day programs. The government pays us for participant attendance.

Our company plays favorites. We have participants who are "VIP" because their parents donate money. So even if someone is showing behaviors that would disqualify them from a program, we have to keep them in it because they're VIP. The staff feel like they're feedback isn't important because of how often it is ignored. Our ideas for how to make things better get shot down frequently.

I don't want my boss's job. The supervisors and managers work at night and at weekends because they have too much work to get it done on weekdays. They look unhappy a lot of the time.

I talk to my coworkers in different departments and even though they still like working with our clients they don't have passion anymore. They're basically doing this job because they need the money and the benefits. People who used to be good employees now do the minimum because they don't believe in the direction the company is going. I overheard people talking about quitting on a daily basis. Half of the coworkers I talk to are actually looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Sit down and look at the programs for a week. Compare what you see to the policies and procedures that you tell us to follow. Your policies and procedures and your program descriptions aren't what participants are getting.

Read our morale issues last that our supervisors talked to us about last year. We haven't heard anything about what Leadership things of the issues that we mentioned.

Please put more care into not losing our confidential paperwork. It makes the trust of employees lower when you ask them to sign paperwork that was lost years ago and put the date of two years ago instead of today.

"Fun, meaningful job turned into a distasteful and disorganized mess"

I have been working at Community Gatepath full-time

Pros

Working with people with developmental disabilities has changed my perspective in life and working for Community Gatepath has helped me grow as a person in many ways. I've experienced a lot of personal growth working with this company. Most of the direct care staff and supervisors that I have interacted with have been great at their jobs and have a lot of passion for what they do. The company provides good health benefits and going to work used to be a great way to get away from my personal life. No matter how bad my days started out, going to work always made my days get a lot better.

Cons

However, in the past few years our services have gone downhill. Our managers and supervisors are individually carrying out the duties meant for multiple people. This overworking trickles down to the direct care staff and the voices of our concerns are not being heard. HR is pushing all issues and concerns onto our Supervisors and Managers to deal with when they are already at their capacity. When I see managers mistreating their staff, not listening, and speaking over them, I want to voice my opinion about their unprofessional behavior but there is no one to speak to about these concerns. HR is constantly losing the paperwork of employees and are not helpful at assisting with the grievances of employees, whether it be personal or work related.

Over the years, I have seen drastic changes in the company. And these changes have not changed the organization for the better. For many years staff have lost their hours and have not regained their wages. With changes in our economy, no adjustments have been made to keep up with current inflation rates. Direct care staff struggle with everyday payments while our executive/upper management teams are getting raises or bonuses. Supervisors, managers, and direct care staff members are working double, even triple the workload compared to 2009, but all the hard work they are putting into it is not seen in their wages. The hard work is being generously given to those who do not understand the population we work with.

These days no matter how good my days start, as soon as I enter into my workplace I lose all my cheerfulness. My motivation to strive has shot straight down. Work used to be my escape, but now it’s the place I want to hide from. I wish the company would utilize all the amazingly talented staff that they have. There are many that are passionate about what they do and they have the desire to make a positive change, but without the support of the upper management it’s impossible to do. The most devastating thing for me to see is the people we are supposed to be serving are not receiving the services that they really need; the services that will help them grow and integrate into their community as active citizens. Until some positive, productive changes are made the company will continue to lose capable staff members and the quality of services will suffer.

Advice to Management

Many changes are needed and it needs to start with the foundation of the organization. Asking employees for their feedback on issues and concerns of the company's status and then pushing these concerns under a rug and forgetting about them is only going to lower morale and overall functioning of the company. Action needs to be taken. Fixing the small issues that people feel are arduous will only make the company better in the long run. It’s going to be a struggle in the beginning, but if it will make the organization better in the long run, I know plenty of employees are willing to put the work and effort into creating something that is worthwhile.