Community Health Plan of Washington - Only if you're desperate | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Community Health Plan of Washington

"Only if you're desperate"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transportation subsidy is good and location near bus and train hubs make a commute manageable. Health benefits are good as is 401K match.

Cons

The business model of this organization is one that is set up to fail. The health plan is owned by 19 community health centers (CHC) that are also the Board of Directors. Set up in 1992, to this day there is nothing but infighting amongst the Board that trickles down to impact health plan morale and performance. For example, one CHC was recently encouraging their patients – Community Health Plan of WA members - to switch to the competition!

The majority of the executives running the health plan are marginally competent; I cannot use the word ‘leader’ to describe any one of them. The culture is one that supports mediocre performance.

The current CEO is very out of touch with what is going on in the rest of the company. Since he’s been there for over three years, there is simply no excuse for tolerating the incredible dysfunction within the health plan, much less amongst the plan’s Board of Directors.

There is no commitment to creating a culture where staff is engaged and enthusiastic. Customer Service struggles not because of the manager, but because there is no emphasis or support of excellent service to members within the culture of the organization.

The departments are built like silos. A territorial attitude by Directors and Managers is swept under the carpet. Other employees who benefit from the status quo target anyone who tries to change things.

The Marketing Department lost a key executive when the former Director finally gave up and moved on. The Community Development Manager is a passive/aggressive young woman who you can count on to do whatever it takes to climb the corporate ladder. Her aggressive style and abusive interaction with staff is tolerated because she knows how to play the corporate political game.

The new HR director has brought a breath of fresh air to the organization but she has obviously become ingrained and won’t support staff that bring issues with Directors and other ‘leaders’ to her attention.

All of the Directors and above lack the courage to challenge the overall dysfunction that permeates the organization.

The IT department is under funded and under-staffed. Hardware and software are antiquated. There appears to be no commitment to bringing the organization into the 21st century of technology.

The Quality department did an astounding job of achieving NCQA accreditation – kudos to the Director for her incredible achievement. The challenge now is to maintain that accreditation in this terribly dysfunctional organization.

All other departments struggle with under-paid and over-worked staff.

All in all, if you’re desperate for a job, this organization should be nothing more than a stepping-stone to something better.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the dysfunction with the Board of Directors. Focus on creating a culture of operational excellence with an emphasis on providing a positive member and provider experience and you may have a shot at competing with the national carriers that won a contract during the recent state RFP. Empower managers to do their job and quit micromanaging. The way the organization is structured creates silos between functional areas. Examine the structure of other successful commercial health plans and mimic that. Pay for demonstrated success and experience at every level of the organization, especially managers and customer service. Learn that your employees are your most valuable asset and start treating them that way. Do the employee engagement survey twice a year; create a culture where listening deeply to your staff when they provide feedback is a priority, and then empower managers to make the necessary changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Community Health Plan of Washington

1. "it is fine."

Pros

The incentive pay is a good bonus.

Cons

The claims system difficulites are embarassing.

"What an incredible organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What isn't there to love? Benefits are excellent (3.5 week of PTO, 40 hours of community service to volunteer at a non profit, transportation assistance including unlimited monthly ORCA card, 401K match with no vesting schedule, most positions have flexible working hours and some can be remote from home), our office in DT Seattle is modern and beautiful (our 6th floor employee lounge has expresso machines, a view of the water, small grocery store and even vegan microwaves) and my colleagues in my dept. and in other areas of the company are the kindest, most down to earth people to work with. Feels like I work with family. Everyone is supportive, respectful and we're all here for the same reason (as our Mission) - that's to give back to the community and help the under served population. I feel so good knowing my work impacts others and is more than just about myself or making a company money. We are the only not for profit healthcare insurance company in Washington State so this makes us unique in itself. Very rewarding organization that takes care of its employees, values hard work, encourages work/life balance (some badges can't even come into the office after 6 or 7pm because they want you home with your family) and are advocates for growth from within the company. Also appreciate that we have a female CEO - they are rare nowadays and she's awesome.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons at CHPW.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!