KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee

Not Good Enough to Stay For Long

Nov 7, 2019 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compass is a decent place to work part-time. The staff seems nice and mostly solid, and the pay is $40 an hour, also pretty good. I like the kids, learning and doing my own schedule.

Cons

But they are charging $220 an hour for tutoring. Wowza. So we make 20% of what they take in. My pay doesn't sound so good now, it's almost insulting. Then, they pay everyone as an employee but there are no benefits. So I can't deduct my mileage or health insurance from my taxes. That also sucks. I heard Study Smarter offers people real benefits so I might look there. They want people to drive a lot. Driving to Marin and dealing with traffic over there is a lot. They don't seem to really factor in how they're asking people to spend unpaid hours in the car plus all the out of pocket gas money. Sue in the office seems difficult to work with. With the tutors there seems to be high turnover and the job is isolating. I will do this for now, but Compass doesn't treat us good enough to stay for long.

Continue reading
    5 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Still A Great Workplace!

Sep 7, 2022 - Tutor in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Extremely smart and competent employees. Everyone wants you to succeed. A lot of the tutoring has moved online during the pandemic, and things have been smooth.

Cons

Can be hard to manage workload. No travel reimbursement.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Love working for this company

Aug 23, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great support from company, curriculum, and training. I love that they supply all the materials and practice tests. I feel like I have the tools to be a successful tutor.

Cons

It's hard to have regular hours on a weekly (and, therefore, monthly) basis, so it's challenging to have a steady income that you can plan on.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Compass Education.

Compass Education Photos