Compass Group - Good company to work for but frustrating if you want to advance. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Compass Group

"Good company to work for but frustrating if you want to advance."

Current Employee - Food Service Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Food Service Director in New York, NY

Pros

Stabiltiy, responsiblity, accountability, independence, structured

Cons

They say they want to promote within but in actuality this does not happen often

Advice to Management

Train management more effectively as can often feel isolated.

Other Employee Reviews for Compass Group

1. "Compass Group: Not a bad place to work."

Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Treasury Analyst in Charlotte, NC

Pros

It's a very large company with lots of room for career advancement. Since the company is so large, there's also the opportunity to change careers later if I chose to switch careers.
    Compensation seems to fair when I look at what my friends at other large companies are making. However, this may not be across the board. I originally applied for a different position at Compass where the starting salary was way under market for the position. Needless to say, I did not take that position until something better came along. Pay increases also seem to be slightly above average, up to 5.5 percent or so. Also depending on your position, there may be occasional market study increases. These are usually on in very specialized positions.

Cons

Sometimes the company seems too large. With about 360,000 employees, it's harder for your work to really stand out. You have to be that much better than your co-workers when it comes to promotions, especially in a large department or area. The impact of your work to the company can seem to gets lost with so many sub companies, departments, & areas. I've worked for other smaller companies before, & it's definitely better to have fewer bosses or "higher-ups" over you. It just means that there are that many more people to try to impress & people's toes not to step on.

Advice to Management

Nada.

2. "Average place to work"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Canteen is supported by a large corporate, Compass, with significant resources. There were a lot of good ideas and the company was trying to be a trendsetter in the industry. Before I left, I felt that the company was making improvements to some of the negative aspects of the company. I left because it was not the industry I wanted to build a career in.

Cons

There were a lot of good ideas and programs but executive management did not follow through on programs prior to starting new initiatives. Executive Management did not show strong support for local divisions. They should have given greater support to local personnel.

Advice to Management

Choose a strategy and follow it. Direction of programs changed to regulary.