Compass Minerals - Micro-managed & stessed | Glassdoor

"Micro-managed & stessed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable job, decent pay, somewhat flexible, nice building, good co-workers

Cons

Micro-managed, cannot move up without a degree, experience means nothing, too many bosses. Stress!

Advice to Management

CEO's come in, get rich and leave. Guess it is that way at most companies. Low morale partially due to profit sharing being unattainable for workers; but Senior Management still gets all their perks. CEO told us we're disengaged if we had been there 3+ years and should do company a favor & quit. Started Gallup. HR does nothing to help morale. Before going public we had a lot fewer layers of management and job was less stressful. Very litte job satisfaction, lower morale now. Computer systems flawed. Need to invest in systems & people, everyone stressed. Hard when the CEO has his hand in everything and management cannot make a decision. Where is the B of D's in all this? Imagine someone coming around on New Years Eve at 4:30 to see who left early. Really! Where is trust?

Other Employee Reviews for Compass Minerals

1. "Could Do SO Much Better!!"

Current Employee - Management in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recession proof products, Excellent workforce (for the most part), So much potential to be a GREAT company inspite of itself!

Cons

CEO and Leadership Team need to KEEP hiring qualified individuals to manage the company but then give them the authority and responsibility to manage their respective organizations without needing a 'hall pass' to go to the bathroom! The micro-management and ergo the disfunctionality is 'epic'

Advice to Management

You have taken the time and spent the money to hire capable middle management. Allow them to do their jobs without so much unnecessary oversight, unsolicited advice and micro management! CMP Managers have years of experience and are capable of doing our jobs effectively! Hold us responsible for our mistakes and reward us for our successes, but just let us do what we know how to do!! Please remember thant it has been a long time since we were college interns....

2. "Good business model...Senior Management lacking"

Current Employee - Management in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Compass Minerals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent employees at the plant. Significant potential for growth in the SOP business. Great location.

Cons

Senior Management is unprofessional and incompetent. Micro managing is unbelievable and is destroying the business. Vice Presidents make all the decisions and then blame the members of the "team" when their decision does not work. Public ridicule of Site Management is frequent by once Vice President and is leading to numerous resignations. What a great Company this could be if Senior Management would give middle management some authority to act.

Advice to Management

Give middle managers at the sites the ability to run their location. Give them the authority and responsibility, hold them accountable.