Compton Unified School District - working with the students of Compton is GREAT | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Compton Unified School District

"working with the students of Compton is GREAT"

Current Employee - Operations Coor in Compton, CA
Current Employee - Operations Coor in Compton, CA

I have been working at Compton Unified School District full-time

Pros

It give you an unique opportunity to really help kids.

Cons

believe me there are no downsides everything is great working for Compton Unified

Advice to Management

have more of an open door agenda. reward those that deserves it.

Other Employee Reviews for Compton Unified School District

1. "District Admin"

I worked at Compton Unified School District full-time

Pros

Good sense of purpose to support at risk children

Cons

Administration and staff not always professional

2. "Lack of communication at all levels, convoluted school district, needs complete restructuring or another state takeover."

Former Contractor - Systems Specialist
    Former Contractor - Systems Specialist

I worked at Compton Unified School District as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting hourly wages are competitive. I would assume that the health benefits would've been decent if I were offered a full-time position. I also worked at the district level so I didn't have to deal with students or faculty/staff on a daily basis.

Cons

I was brought in as a contract IT technician to fill a need for a short-term major project. There was poor communication between HR and my department so it was never clear when my end date was. I left on my first proposed end date and was called via phone from HR asking why I turned in my key. Little did I know that I had been extended to the end of the school year. When I came in for a clarification for an actual ending date based on that, I was informed that my last day was toward the end of February. That gave me an eight-day notice. The school year ends in June.

The district also went out of their way to make sure that I was only used for my services and not given any benefits whatsoever (maximum five hours a day not to exceed 25 hours a week). That made my time there very short, and the schedule made it difficult to take another job simultaneously. I was also blown off several times in my requests to get an ID badge made for me. As a result, I had to work on school sites with a badge simply labeled "Visitor."

It was pretty clear to see where upper management was tied up and also where little care was put into the work as in it was just enough for people to keep their jobs. In addition, I found out from a former coworker that my position had been filled not long after I left. However, it was never seen on job boards or the district website for me to apply to as it is required for a public service position.

Advice to Management

Actually have communication between departments to keep track of employees.