Con Edison - Nepotism and Cronyism Rampant | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Con Edison

"Nepotism and Cronyism Rampant"

Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent place to learn about new technology.

Cons

Very few new employees stay with the company for any extended period of time. Managers and supervisors have made rank by who they know not what they know. Basically, most management/supervisory staff have been with the company for many years and are very territorial and concerned only with nurturing the careers of staff members within their inner circle. If you are within their inner circle expect GREAT performance reviews and pay raises year in and year out regardless of their true on the job performance. And expect mediocre (at best) performance reviews and pay raises if you are not within their inner circle. This culture/mindset was cited internally by the company which to it's credit recognizes the rampant nepotism and cronyism that abounds...Unfortunately, despite the company's best efforts to promote fairness and opportunity to advance for all in the workplace, managers and supervisors find ways to portray staff not within their inner circle as being under performing slackers, which leads to mistrust and staff concerned only with self preservation. Inhibiting new ideas and thinking outside the box. It's unhealthy for staff subjected to this and it's unhealthy for a company desperately seeking to extracate itself from the grasp of rampant nepotism and cronyism.

Advice to Management

Only through retirement of long term employees will the company begin to realize a work force that genuinely cares about the company, promotes free thinking and provides fairness and opportunity for all staff members.

Other Employee Reviews for Con Edison

1. "Overall, Great."

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Con Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

Cons

For the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

"Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people."

Former Intern - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at Con Edison as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

Cons

I felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Management

It's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.