Concordia University Chicago - Their financial and political issues often get in the way of a Servant Leadership attitude. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Concordia University Chicago

"Their financial and political issues often get in the way of a Servant Leadership attitude."

Current Employee - (Staff) in River Forest, IL
Current Employee - (Staff) in River Forest, IL

I have been working at Concordia University Chicago full-time

Pros

CUC has a heart for serving students. Many of the staff are caring individuals, and try to model the mission statement and model servant leadership by example. CUC really excels at Early Childhood Education.

Cons

CUC doesn't have a very coherent vision plan for addressing the many financial, operational and academic issues that face the institution. This is evident from the top down throughout the entire institution. Power struggles and bad politics abound, most notably between the graduate and undergraduate administration. Administration seems either unable or unwilling to make the tough decisions and implement the necessary changes to keep CUC a viable institution. Some areas need some serious trimming of the fat, while others struggle to maintain a minimum support presence due to under-staffing.

Advice to Management

CUC needs a top-down evaluation of all academic programs, administrative practices, and staff distribution.

Other Employee Reviews for Concordia University Chicago

1. "Great opportunities for entry level positions"

I worked at Concordia University Chicago full-time

Pros

Great benefits, colleagues and business hours

Cons

Salary range is low for the work load

2. "Great community, poor management."

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in River Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in River Forest, IL

I worked at Concordia University Chicago part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great community of staff members within my department
    -Great location in a nice suburb close to down town Oak Park with a train going into Chicago. Campus is relatively safe.
    -My supervisors were good mentors to me
    -Upper management in our department was very approachable
    -The GA position was a great way to get a low cost degree while gaining real world work experience in my field
    -Got to know the other GA's pretty well from being housed in the same cluster in the dorms

Cons

-Management is terrible and has no idea how to run a profitable and functional business. School insists the president be ordained which resulted in someone with limited business background running the school. Their solution to most problems is "let's pray about it" over actually doing something to solve the problem.
    -Poor communication and mistrust between departments. Rather than working with each other to benefit the overall organization and the students, different staff members and departments work against each other and try to throw each other under the bus
    -Tuition waiver for GA's does not actually cover full tuition, so the little stipend you make goes back to the school to cover the remaining cost of classes. You're required to take summer classes to stay on track with your degree since the school will only let you take one class at a time, but these required summer classes aren't covered by the tuition waiver.
    -GA's aren't allowed to hold other jobs on campus and are typically expected to work full-time as GA's even though it's supposed to be part-time. This makes it very difficult to get a side job to help cover cost of living.
    -Housing in the area is expensive, so you're only real affordable option is to live in the same dorms as students which created several issues when we were here, since it's weird for GA's to live in the same building as students they supervise. We were given an RA who was a student I supervised as a GA which was a conflict of interest.
    -GA's are the only graduate students that live on campus as most others are adult commuters or online students. Because of this, there are no activities or clubs on campus for GA's to join. It is ridiculous to put GA's in this situation with no way to make friends on campus besides each other and expect them not to hang out with students. You can get fired for hanging out with students.
    -Most of the GA's were more qualified than their supervisors. The school loves to hire alums even if they aren't qualified. There are several people who have been working here for years who are highly unqualified for their positions and bad at their jobs, yet aren't given any training to help them improve and continue to produce low quality work. One of my supervisors was highly inappropriate around students and staff on a regular basis, but still has a job here despite several instances of making very inappropriate comments to students being reported.
    -The school does not make good use of time and resources and required us to waste a lot of time doing ineffective things just for the sake of doing it. Management watched our department like hawks and tried to micromanage our jobs on a regular basis even though their requirements were a waste of time causing us to fall short of our goals.
    -Buildings are very outdated. Only one dorm has AC. They refused to turn the heat on in the dorms before a certain date and some GA's got sick from having to sleep in constantly freezing cold dorms. Also mold in the dorms.
    -Food is terrible and makes people sick on a regular basis
    -I experienced sexual harassment numerous times in this job based on my gender, but was told to "ignore it" when I reported it to my supervisor.
    -Super low admissions standards lead to a lot of very ill-prepared students attending the school. Students who could not write comprehensible sentences in English were in my graduate level classes. We had occasional problems with the undergrads too due to the low standards of people accepted into the school.
    -No activities to do on campus on weekends with limited food service. Campus is totally dead and depressing on weekends.
    -Most of my professors weren't very good.
    -School drives good people away by poor management

Advice to Management

This is a business, not a charity, so put people in place to run it like one. Focus on putting the right people in the right places to excel in their jobs and encourage them to work towards common goals of the school and serving students. Don't create rules that cause departments or employees to be pitted against each other. Evaluate who really is doing well at their jobs and who isn't and get the bad workers training or get rid of them. Allow your employees to use their skills and judgment to get their jobs done efficiently and effectively rather than micro-managing them and forcing them to waste time on ineffective methods. You really need to hire an outside consultant to evaluate operations here as the school wastes time, money, and resources operating ineffectively and opens itself to many possible lawsuits due to negligence and lack or awareness of liability issues.

If you give GA's full tuition waivers and room and board, you will attract much better applicants who will be more likely to stay the full two years since they then at least have the very small stipend to live off of. Or at least allow them to hold other jobs on campus for supplemental income. Don't put GA's in the dorms with students. Put them in off-campus apartments.