ConocoPhillips - Very good company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ConocoPhillips

"Very good company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at ConocoPhillips part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned lots of new technologies while working as a software engineer. managers are very good & they give enough time to develop a good product.

Cons

This is very big company, so there will be few politics going inside but this wont affect you...

Advice to Management

Keep up your good work...

Other Employee Reviews for ConocoPhillips

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company values work/life balance, has decent salaries and benefits, and is general not a bad place to work, especially if you are early in your career. If you pursue them and have great support from you manager and other people through networking, there are many doors available for advancement. This could mean leaving your current role and getting out of your comfort zone; but they are willing to train you if you show the aptitude and desire.

Cons

It seems some of the processes and procedures are dated, as if they are behind in the technology world we are in now. However, they are taking steps to improve this. Also, as probably in most locations, there is the good old boy mentality in some of the older leaders, as they continue to advance people based on other qualities not related to job performance.

Advice to Management

Continue to make some of the changes to match today's environment in this technological age. Please monitor how some of the old regimen is handling the respective departments.

"Experience has been ok, nothing special"

Current Employee - N/A in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - N/A in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ConocoPhillips full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- New CEO Ryan Lance seems like he cares more for his employees than Mulva did.
      (example: he did away with Mulva's joke of a forced rankings system)
      (example: he recently raised the bonus target rate for certain salary grades.)
    - Good retirement (although not as good as Devon's) and health benefits/insurance.
    - 19/30 days (work an extra 30 minutes each day and get one day off a month & doesn't count against vacation days)
     - Good work/life balance

Cons

- The leadership in my department once told me that we do not make counteroffers to employees that have received a better offer for another company. Seems pretty foolish
    - Average raises usually are around 3.5 - 4.0 percent (can be more depending on rating)
    - Some departments like to "spread the wealth" so they will alter who gets the 1 and 2 ratings each year. For example, if you get a promotion in 2012, you would automatically get the standard 3 rating that year. It is very rare to get a 1 or 2 rating two years in a row even if you do the best work.
    - HR has just as much of a say as your supervisor/director does on when you get promoted.
    - Promotions are just 6%. I know for a fact that this is not the case at CHK or Devon.
    - We don't find the oil, we just follow everybody else to it.

Advice to Management

Mr. Lance, if it is true that COP does not have a counteroffer policy how can we expect to retain our top talent and be competitive? And if we do have a counteroffer policy, perhaps you should schedule a "lunch and learn" for the leadership in Bartlesville because they are apparently unaware of it.

Advice to college new hires: If you get an offer to come work here then you should accept the offer. Come and work here for 5 or so years and then go to another company because they will end up paying you a lot more and will value your experience more than COP will. And if you happen to come work in Bartlesville, do NOT buy a house because that's just asking to be trapped.