Consolidated Graphics - Very Disappointing | Glassdoor

"Very Disappointing"

Current Employee - Ldp Associate
Current Employee - Ldp Associate

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are ambitious and willing to relocate you may be able to end up in a decent position

Cons

Very long hours for very little pay

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for the hard work your associates do

Other Employee Reviews for Consolidated Graphics

1. "It has been okay"

I have been working at Consolidated Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was not a difficult job to get and if you stay long enough there are some options for advancement. There are around 70 factories nationwide so it is nice to have some options for relocation

Cons

Printing is not a very profitable industry and money always seems to be tight. The only positions that seem to have a desirable salary are in roles which have a disproportionate amount of responsibility. The workload of a C.E.O. brings a paycheck that wouldn't reflect that. The benefits are also expensive and not that great.

"Would not recommend this job to anyone I like"

Former Employee - Ldp Associate
    Former Employee - Ldp Associate

I worked at Consolidated Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you have nothing else to do after college, there is a big chance CGX will hire you.
    Can be used to fill up your resume if you are creative with the language enough to make it seem like you did something other than help the company as cheap, manual labor.

Cons

Coming right out of college, I loved my life and could not wait to start my full time job with CGX. According to everything they say during the interview process, and the opportunities they sell, I thought I was set. Boy was I wrong.
    Nothing could have really prepared me to start working in the bindery on my first day. Yes, they talk about the hands on part, but you really can't understand until you are there. Most production employees resent the associate program. They see it as useless because they take the time to train new associates, but then the associate quits a year or two later and they feel it was a waste of time. So naturally, they have a terrible attitude about the whole thing. Not a very welcoming thing to come into.
    Furthermore, the program is developed on the concept of "working from the bottom up" or "proving yourself." So that creates a culture of associates that throw each other under the bus, instead of offering a support system for the terrible working conditions that each associate experiences.
    The benefits are terrible. The health care is extremely expensive, and you get 5 days of vacation after 6 months of employment. Work life balance is not encouraged...and actually probably doesn't exist at CGX. If there is a blizzard that dumps 10 inches, you can bet you will be driving to work that day. CGX really does not care about its employees.
    The working conditions are pretty terrible. Everything is dirty and dark and old. There is no natural light and very limited new technology. I think the environment and the way I was treated daily contributed to me feeling depressed, anxious and unhappy. I felt like I was walking on egg shells all the time, just trying to "prove myself."
    Really would reconsider if you are thinking about taking an offer from CGX. I think you can get somewhere in your career with CGX, but know that you should have a passion for printing and that you won't really make a lot of money at any point. Not worth it!!!

Advice to Management

CULTURE MATTERS. The way people treat eachother at work is a huge determining factor for how happy they will be which is directly related to how productive they are. If you really think associates are the future of the company, treat them better. That means making sure the culture in the shop is one that welcomes the associates (all depts, especially production) and sets them up for success, not unhappiness. Change the hiring process by paying top candidates more and not hiring people who are not a good fit simply because you have to meet the corporate quota.
    At the end of the day though, I know I am wasting my breath. CGX knows exactly what they are doing. Exploiting new grads as cheap lobor and giving them nothing in return.