Consumer Cellular - Best Call Center I have ever worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Cellular

"Best Call Center I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

-There are clear expectations about what is needed in order to move up in the company
-Management is eager to help you grow, improve and flourish if you are willing to ask for help
-Supervisors are very approachable, so if you find yourself struggling they are willing and eager to help you meet and exceed requirements through mentoring, individual coaching, ect.
-The benefits and pay package is better then any other call center I have ever worked for. It is clear that management cares a lot about their employees and success since not only do they offer this they also host a wide variety of employee appreciation events throughout the year. I have never seen a company let alone a call center who so willingly supported and appreciated even the lowest on the totem pole.
-They are a very green company offering many different ways to recycle and take care of nature. It is so great to see a company that has grown so large still making this a priority.
-They provide multiple volunteer opportunities throughout the year including a volunteer match program. They will actually match your donation or contribution of time up to a certain number of dollars every year. Talk about a company that is on your side.
-I never felt like a number. Working for previous call centers both inbound and outbound I never felt like I was noticed. I exceeded expectations and brought in money for them but I am sure if you went back to those companies nobody would even know my name. Consumer Cellular is quite the opposite of that. I was always a name and when meeting or exceeding expectations was always given praise for my accomplishments. I worked my way up from the bottom just like anybody else in the company and the entire time felt appreciated by both my supervisors and managment. If you reach an all star level of call metrics you even get to have lunch with management which at other companies I have worked for is simply unheard of.
-The attendance policy was more lenient then any other policy I have seen. You are allowed more sick days within a 90 day period then any other company I have worked for. Most say goodbye if you are sick even once during training but Consumer Cellular is much more accommodating then that.
-The dress code if fairly lenient. No other call center I have worked in allowed me to wear jeans or flip flops. I know this sounds odd but I loved not needing to be business casual or professional attire when the customer I was helping could not even see me.
-There was always great satisfaction when helping a customer with their phone. It is never easy to teach somebody about something they know nothing about but Consumer Cellulars customers were always so appreciative when you were able to walk them through something they had never done before. Personally it allowed me to leave each day knowing I made a difference.
-Overall the companies attitude and presence still astounds me today. There is a large feeling of support and teamwork and while it may not be the best fit for everybody, since it is a call center, Consumer Cellular was by far the best fit for me!

Cons

- Not sure this could be considered a con but the company is growing so fast that their is a constant evolution of information. Best reccomendation I have is to stay up on your knowledge and be willing to ask questions. I was never once given grief for asking a question and it always allowed me to make sure the information I had and was providing was the most accurate.
-No searchable database of information. It would be so helpful to have a way to find information quicker then needing to call somebody else for help, and while their is a folder of information it is hard to find what you need while on a call with a customer.

Advice to Management

If I were to offer some advice to management it would be keep up the good work. The company is growing fast and I know it is tempting to become a large call center where each employee is just a number. Please do not do this. Continue to host employee appreciation events and offer volunteer opportunities. There is never a time when every employee will appreciate this but I can guarantee the majority does and those are the employees you want to keep around. Keep up the open door policy and keep listening to those who work on the floor. They do it everyday so they are bound to have some good ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Cellular

"Great company, great job, Never get sick or you will get fired..."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

Pros

-Competitive pay $13.25 per hr starting + sales bonuses for new lines of service
    -0 paycheck deductible benefits if you are single (pretty rare getting you entire paycheck these days)
    -Clear and precise promotion ladder if you survive the attendance policy
    -Owners seem to genuinely care about the employees even though they ignore you in the break room
    -Profit sharing directly into your 401K annually/holiday Christmas bonus

Cons

-The pros make Consumer Cellular sound like "the" place to work. In many areas, this is true. However, reality is that all management was required to drink the kool-aide to be promoted. All you literally hear is, "This is the greatest company ever. All policies are perfect here. Submit feedback."
    -The reality is one omnipotent being, the General Manager, seems to make all decisions and there seems to be little intelligence in how the decisions are made.
    -Policy has been created to make it nearly impossible to remain employed for any serious length of time. Even though the attendance policy was revamped for 2012, there is actual FEAR of being sick and having to miss work for legitimate reasons. We are not talking about the Friday and Monday type people who always call in when it is a sunny day. People who get the flu, bronchitis, pneumonia etc work until near the grave and the emergency room because almost dying is preferable than risking your job by missing work due to being legitimately ill.
    -Everyone seems very friendly on the surface. Yet, if something unreasonable happens no one is willing to speak up, due to once again, the omnipotent power of the General Manager and his love of firing people. No one has anyone's back. It is essentially "Lord of the Flies".
    -6 foot tall cubicle walls and about 1 in 4 desks are 4 feet wide.
    -Policy against having anything at your desk that makes it look like you work there. Which is interesting, since you would think they would promote you being happy, but instead, they want you to stare at a blank cubicle wall with policy posted and work 10-hour shifts and remain happy.
    -Management does NOT like anyone that can think for themselves. I believe this once again goes back to the omnipotent GM again. You are shunned for being creative, expressive, and intelligent.
    -Performance doesn't mean anything in the sense that, it gains you no respect at all. It will gain you promotion to the next pay levels and the next step, but management focuses on finding your 1% errors and not your 99% consistencies of high performance
    -The owners are actually seen at their desks but you are not allowed to say "hello". They are not there to be given any opinions, thoughts, feedback. etc etc. They look at you like you are an alien when you see them in the break room on rare occasion.
    -The training is very poor to say the least. Do not expect to understand much anything about cellular phone support upon completion but you had better hit your stats after 90 days OR ELSE.
    -There is no "rapport" what-so-ever. Team meetings are only once per month and are fairly worthless.
    -Information given between levels of management down is non-existent.
    -You learn about known issues long, long before anyone in management bothers to send an email to let everyone know. So your stats that will get you fired become that much more impossible to maintain while you spend 45 minutes per call being required to fix a known issue that no one wants to announce to the floor is a known issue.
    -You are not allowed to have a cell phone out at your desk AT ALL. Having one out will get you sent home immediately without pay for the rest of the day and a ding towards being fired. Translation: the company doesn't trust any employee on the floor. Everyone is guilty and not to be trusted.
    -10 hour grinding shifts but only 30 minute lunches and 2 breaks instead of the typical 3 when working such a long shift in a call center. Often no where to eat but you are not allowed to eat at your desk.
    -Get sick, get fired. It's that easy. The only thing that will save you is FMLA. If you do not qualify for it, you are gone. Regardless of performance. The attendance policy is used to constantly weed people off the floor to keep costs down as you get promoted due to meeting stats and being promoted.
    -Prior experience means nothing at this company. You start at the bottom and you get treated accordingly. Do not believe your past experience will lead to a faster promotion. If anything, it will lead to people on the floor trying to get rid of you because of your knowledge. More "Lord of the Flies" and a lot like working at a State Job. Intelligence doesn't get you promoted - "Not getting voted off the island" gets you promoted. Play the game right and you too may win.

Advice to Management

There is nothing that can be said that will result in change for this company. The person that makes all the decisions, he has been there since very early on. The reality is, the long hold times for the customers and the poor training is all a result of poor leadership. Management needs to be realistic in goals that are set. The current policies are seen as nothing more than a means of employees not surviving long.

2. "Good place"

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Consumer Cellular full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great bennys and all the others

Cons

lots of sitting and listen to people