Consumer Directed Choices - Stop and think hard before imposing huge cuts on staff. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Directed Choices

"Stop and think hard before imposing huge cuts on staff."

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Albany, NY
Current Employee - Personal Assistant in Albany, NY

Pros

It is rewarding working with people with disabilities. Families are very appreciative for all the things you can do to make their lives as normal as possible.

Cons

Management continually cuts benefits to the Personal Assistants. Every year it is harder and harder to continue working for this company. They no longer contribute to our 401K, have eliminated our sick time that we accumilated and have cut back on vacation time. They are talking of cutting wages (which are very low) and benefits. These are the workers that make their jobs possible and they are continually cutting us back. It makes it difficult to continue working for this organization, but the consumer you are working for desperately depends on you. When a personal associate can no longer afford to make a car payment or put gas in their car or pay their car insurance, we will all have to look for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Think long and hard about the hardships you are imposing on the disabled community. These people depend on their associates to care for their loved ones. It is very difficult to find qualified people to come into theirs homes and lives to care for their (sometimes) small children or disabled parents. Management is not taking any cuts in their benefits or salary. Is it fair to do this to the people who are working so hard to keep their jobs?

Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Directed Choices

1. "PCA"

I have been working at Consumer Directed Choices part-time

Pros

The people I work with are polite and the people in the office are always polite and willing to help.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

2. "Personal Care Assistant"

Former Employee - Personal Care Assistant in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Personal Care Assistant in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at Consumer Directed Choices full-time

Pros

Meaningful work with potentially flexible hours. You get to know the family you work with and make a difference in their lives. Pay is good with overtime and benefits. I could bring my daughter with me to work.

Cons

Work can be demanding physically or emotionally depending on the individual. No room for promotions.