Consumer Reports - Interesting organization in transition | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

"Interesting organization in transition"

Current Employee - Content Creation in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Content Creation in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many great staff and managers trying to reinvent this venerable brand for the diigital age. Great place to work and make a real difference (and a name for yourself) if you are energetic, keen to make an impact and in tune with the future vision. Friendly culture. Some VPs have really clear ideas but others (why are there so many?) seem to add little. Great organizational mission to help all consumers and make the world a better place - what's not to like about that!

Cons

Long serving and very vocal staff whining about the good old pre-digital days can be a real drain. Many seem to think they are entitled to a job for life and have no idea what it's like to work in other places. Some lower level managers seem out of their depth. Outgoing CEO (he's overdue to retire) seems indecisive and obsessed with making old-timer staff happy. Terrible cafeteria - not exactly Google!

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO soon and make sure it's a good one. Stop pandering to old-timer staff so much with endless all staff briefings and awful Q&As, they'll whine whatever you do. Just make great things happen!

Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports

"I've loved working at Consumer Reports for about the last 10 years or so."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people here are wonderful. There are doctors ready to take on the healthcare industry and to use evidence-based ratings for surgeries, hospitals, physicians. The journalists are really smart and committed, and the engineers and scientists are topnotch people working with a mission. Working with smart, committed people is a turn on, frankly. I have had a number of jobs, but this is the first where I almost always want to get to work. A senior colleague of mine at CR calls the place "geek chic." Going to the labs and seeing how they test products (and they are always asking the rest of us to join in on testing), collaborating on a story with other investigative journalists, like those at Propublica, watching the talented organizers in Texas, Yonkers, DC and San Francisco work with committed citizen activists -- this stuff is really fun.

The place is going through a pretty radical transformation to get in front of the curve that's overtaken print legacy publications. What to do with mobile? How do you monetize it? OK, the website was a big thing in the late 90's -- the first of its kind and largest to charge subscribers and to be ad-free -- but what's the next big thing? Or the next several medium sized things? Everyone is trying to figure that out and CR, in the last year particularly, has brought in new digital product and services leaders to move the place forward. The proof is still to come, but they are energizing the place.

I like seeing a number of people who were unsung stars get promoted -- which has been happening recently. We're getting a mix of new talent and ideas from the outside, which is shaking up the culture in good and sometimes tumultuous ways, but also promoting talent from within. It's not always comfortable to be in the midst of such transformation, but it's also very exciting.

When I first came to CR there would be no cars in the parking lot by 5 or 5:30 pm. I wasn't used to that. And almost every month there was another party for someone who had been there 25, or 30 or 40 years. It was like my Dad's generation's experience of work life. There are lovely things about that, but also down sides. That culture is changing, making some people feel like they are losing a family that they had come to depend upon. But for folks like me, who never intended to be one place for 40 years, it's a good thing.

Benefits are really good. And there is a real understanding among leadership, even while they drive things forward, that people have to have a work/life balance. Some of the senior leaders (particularly, but not only, the women) are really good about extending that to their staff, as well as showing that they have that even while they are so committed to their work. That's a really nice thing about the place. And if something tough happens to you on the family or personal front, this place really rallies around you and gives you the support and flexibility you need.

Cons

CR needs to do more to develop people and show them they have a career track. And of course transformation is unsettling. Some long time leaders have been let go. New senior leadership often wants new deputies, so some of that is to be expected. What's hard for many of my colleagues, and occasionally for me as well, is to see someone who loved the place and was devoted to the mission, and who contributed greatly for years, end up having to leave. If you've been other places, you know this happens. CR just isn't / wasn't used to it. And so there is uncertainty, but also excitement. The biggest thing we're waiting on is who the new CEO will be. There's a search on now.

The other thing that is a con, is that the place really does need to do a better job with diversity at many levels, including the most senior.

Advice to Management

Listen, engage, keep your doors open and find better ways to recognize the talent around you. And figure out how to make it more clear to folks that they have a career trajectory at CR. It's a small place, and leadership positions don't always open up as often as one would like. How do you get around that? You need to be thinking more about that, and being creative.

"Lost its way"

Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a great mission--to inform and protect consumers by providing ratings of products and services and working for a safe marketplace. In general the employees are on board with the mission and feel like they're helping consumers. On-site gym is nice.

Cons

In addition to the endless rounds of layoffs, management does not seem to have a plan going forward to resuscitate the business. Laying off people will not solve the problem--you need to add other revenue streams.