Consumer Reports - A great legacy that's struggling | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Consumer Reports

"A great legacy that's struggling"

Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY
Current Employee - Editor in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, passionate people are the norm here, with a few notable exceptions. CR is serious about its consumer advocacy mission. And it's great to work for a non-profit that doesn't have to compromise its principles for advertisers.

Cons

Since the company realized that it had to join the digital age and attract readers younger than 65, there's been a growing culture of fear among long-term staffers. And new management has engendered even more general anxiety by seemingly randomly laying off people and "reorganizing" to no obvious gain. If they have a master plan, no one can see it but them. But things have calmed down slightly of late, and the boat may be righting itself. Hopefully it doesn't sink.

Advice to Management

If you really want to retain at least some of your talented employees, stop asking for more more more with no compensation, and promote someone in "content development" once in a while.

Other Employee Reviews for Consumer Reports

"Huge Changes Underway"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the mission of the company and I love working for a non-profit. We have some really great, super smart longstanding employees as well as some new hires that have really raised the bar. We have just had our best year financially in quite some time, which has been really exciting. We are revamping the look and feel of the magazine and it looks truly amazing, other plans are underway to do the same with our website look and feel. We have upgraded out technology platforms and our general location and facility is really nice. I love coming to work every (well, maybe not every, but most) day and seeing all the changes-we were looking and sounding really tired and sad and its fun to be part of the change.

Cons

I think anytime you have an organization going through change some people can be resistant to it, so we have to deal with that issue. Change is hard but we need to do it to move forward.

Advice to Management

It's not all perfect here-I think generally the mid level managers are pretty solid and some of the more senior managers are doing a great job, but some need to improve their ability to work together toward a common goal.

"Tough transition but commitment to mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Consumer Reports full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's a real commitment to the mission of serving consumers. The industry is going through tough times, and CR isn't immune. There is some excitement in the transition and in being part of a solution.

Cons

As the organization is transitioning away from print and to a more agile approach to developing and distributing content, there's been some pain as there have been some layoffs. That's a shift in the culture, and resulted in hard feelings for some.

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing through on the transition and making necessary changes; don't lose focus on what makes the organization unique: its mission.