Container Store - The container store doesn't stand for the principles they teach. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Container Store

"The container store doesn't stand for the principles they teach."

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Sales in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Container Store full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and decent pay.

Cons

5am mornings and late nights closing. Working weekends and holidays. Working with customers. They pressure you to sell but tell you they just want you to "help" customers. If the customer isn't spending at least $60 and buying elfa you aren't helping them right. They play favories scheduling shifts. If you are part time you will have the works hours. "unloading a semi truck at 5am and working weekends."

Advice to Management

Get out on the sales floor and support your employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Container Store

"Part Time Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser at Container Store"

Former Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best Reasons to work here:

Flexible hours
    Consistent Schedule from week to week
    Good Training

Cons

Downsides to working here:

High expectations to learn about product on own time even if working a few hours a week
    Benefits for p/t not great
    Always have to work weekends and holidays
    If p/t, hard to get lots of hours

Advice to Management

As a visual merchandiser that unloaded the truck every week, you worked us into the ground. Hire help when it is needed. It is very discouraging to work so hard on truck days, to only leave the store with merchandise strewed about the store because we didn't have enough bodies to finish it.

"I have mixed feelings about working here."

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at TCS is my co-workers, particularly the part (prime) timers. I'm not sure whether the overall quality of the employees is merely a reflection of the economic times, or if it's a direct result of the company's hiring policy, but the people who work with me in Scottsdale, AZ are almost uniformly educated, competent and dedicated to performing their jobs at a peak level. The training is excellent and I feel that I have learned quite a bit that I can carry away with me as I advance my career.

Cons

I don't plan to stay much longer in my position at the store because there seems to be no upward mobility. The store's general manager has a very specific type of individual that she promotes, and it's a style that I would have to fake. I was lead to believe, when I first took the job, that the company embraced diversity, not just racial diversity, but diversity in backgrounds, ages, and personalities, but our particular store doesn't reflect this as much as I had been lead to believe. And while I don't think that my time there has been wasted, career wise, I know that I could have gone much further. Also, when I first applied, I was under the impression that the part timers got health insurance. While there's a plan for us, it's minimal.

Advice to Management

Spend more time at the stores and talk with the prime timers since they are the people who do most of the work, though I have very strong relationships with most of our full timers and a lot of respect for most of them as well. If you really do care about your employees like the company states, than think about their quality of life. Nobody in America can have much of that without decent benefits!