Container Store - Perfect first job | Glassdoor

"Perfect first job"

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in Miami, FL

I worked at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the atmosphere, pleasant coworkers, genuinely want to help customers.

Cons

Once the company was sold it wasn't as 'family oriented' as it originally felt. they lost the 'happy employees make even happier customers' philosophy, so it wasn't quite as much fun to work there, employees aren't nearly as appreciated as they used to be.

Advice to Management

go back to old management styles. your employees are your best assets.

Other Employee Reviews for Container Store

"part time visual sales"

Current Employee - Part Time Visual Sales in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Part Time Visual Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with an amazing group of people, with vast backgrounds. TCS's customers are great and working with them to solve organization problems is my favorite aspect of the job. A very supportive and welcoming team environment. Love the Foundation Principles, just don't think they are as relevant as they used to be...

Cons

Little known fact, TCS promotes FT / Managers from outside - GIANT disconnect from their Foundation Principles. This is not 1=3, except for the super human ability needed to do as much as you are asked to do. Managers spend much of their time doing schedules and little time driving business. The more you are able to work the more scattered your shifts will become. Some of the Managers do not walk the walk, but they talk a good talk.

Advice to Management

Hire more FT people, reduce the # friends and family hired by Managers. It is really disheartening when the Manager's daughter get better shifts ( & probably earns more than you do) while they still in HIgh School or College. Make schedules more regular, PT is a FT committment at TCS if you limit availability, you won't get hours, (unless you are a friend or family member of a Manager.) SO sad, I was so excited when I started...

"The have created a delusional world"

Current Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Container Store full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers (the few that are not stressed out due to micromanaging)

Cons

The Container Store was at one time a forward thinking company in tune with their employees and walking the talk. No more. It saddens me to witness the disconnect between the executive team and those of us working our best under ever increasing pressure on the sales floor. Fact: if you are a full time employee you are expected to run the show --literally--while the managers sit in the back attempting to keep their heads above water with the ever increasing workload. They have no administrative assistant (the position was axed though is desperately needed) so spend an inordinate amount of their time dealing with scheduling (us full-timers estimate it takes over 50% of their time).
    Kip & Co. Quit with the lip-service "We Love Our Employees". You know it is nothing but a marketing ploy. You have even stated so on conference calls by claiming how much PR you get out of that silly drive around town advertisement vehicle that proclaims how loved we fortunate employees are. Give us a break. It is embarrassing and pathetic. Spend more time and effort figuring out how to give your extremely dedicated and over-worked store staff a real raise! Not the puny 1-2% that is deemed "a good" increase for top performers.