Convent of the Sacred Heart New York - Worst private girls school | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Convent of the Sacred Heart New York

"Worst private girls school"

Pros

Beautiful school, if your a big donor and rich one can be assured your daughter will never be kicked out of school! Talk about spoiled and entitled!

Cons

Out touch hma,e head of school and directors. Teachers that don't care and don't know anything useful beyond the minimal work done in the classroom. Teachers run out of the door as fast as they can at 3pm. They simply do not care about the students unless they are behind honors and are Genesis or their parents donate a lot of money. All other students mean nothing to school. Go to Chapin or Night'n Gale or anywhere else but Convent of the Sacred Heart , NYC
Waste of money and a poor education!

Advice to Management

Start over. Fire all management and new young teachers who no nothing!

Convent of the Sacred Heart New York Response

Apr 25, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Convent of the Sacred Heart strives to provide faculty, staff and students opportunities for personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom. The school aims to hire highly qualified candidates who... More

Other Employee Reviews for Convent of the Sacred Heart New York

"The Cons Outweigh the Pros"

I worked at Convent of the Sacred Heart New York full-time

Pros

Cons

The building is beautiful, most of the teachers are lovely, and the girls and nice and, for the most part, hard-working. However, the middle school is run by two deeply unpleasant and unprofessional characters. Though one of them teaches very little and the other hasn't taught in years, they constantly interfere in pedagogical matters. This is the dynamic: The girls are worried about an upcoming test or assignment. They go complain to the MS administration. The administration comes down on the offending teacher, who has no choice but to postpone the due date or limit the scope of the test. I said the girls were nice, and they are, but it would take a young person of superhuman integrity to resist taking advantage of this unhealthy dynamic, and that's why, if I ever have a daughter, I will not send her to the Convent of the Sacred Heart.

It's odd because the head of the school is constantly exhorting us to maintain high standards, while the people who could fire us are constantly telling us to do the opposite. Does he not know what's going on? Does he know, and not care? It's hard to say.

Perhaps because the place is so hierarchical and secretive, there's usually some scandal going on, some secret that everything is whispering about. Teachers try to focus on the joys and rewards of teaching, but it's hard to ignore the atmosphere of fear. Every year one teacher is selected for elimination; from that point on, she can do nothing right, and she will be hounded and harassed until quitting seems like the only possible solution (unless she is not rehired first). It's one way of keeping salaries down, but it's bad for the students, and terrible for morale.

Advice to Management

Find new leadership for the middle school. Whoever replaces the current head should let teachers do their job and treat them with respect.

Convent of the Sacred Heart New York Response

Apr 27, 2016 – Human Resources Director

"The Cons Outweigh the Pros, cont'd"

I worked at Convent of the Sacred Heart New York full-time

Pros

The building; many lovely colleagues and dedicated students

Cons

I would like to add some points to my review:

-When I taught at Sacred Heart, I requested some funding so that I could travel to a professional development weekend course. My request was refused, on the grounds that the course had little to do with teaching. Well, I participated in the course on my own dime. I discovered that nearly every participant was a teacher (the handful of non-teachers were passionate amateurs), and I was the only teacher who had received no funding from his/her employer. Everyone was appalled on my behalf.
    -Since I've remained friends with some of my former colleagues, I joined them for a middle school afterwork hangout for teachers only. I was astonished to see that I recognized almost no one, and that the new hires looked practically like teenagers. I don't mean to cast doubt on their abilities, but it was a depressing reminder of the division's policy of encouraging turnover. Not only does it keep salaries down, but it also means that the division head deals mainly with a rotating cast of people who are, for the most part, anxious, insecure, and eager to please, and who lack the institutional support that comes from having put years into a job. And yet, from a teacher's perspective, a first job working for a nasty, manipulative bully who has no appreciation of intellectual values is exactly the worst way to start one's career. I would strongly urge beginning teachers to seek opportunities in a more supportive environment, for their own good.

Not long ago, I saw a series of job announcements for Sacred Heart on this website. The lower end of the salary for an assistant gym teacher was higher than the upper end of the salary for an upper school math teacher. Those numbers speak volumes about the school's priorities.

A note about Glassdoor: I wish I could have added to my original review, but I can't; I can only write a new review, which I have to submit along with a rating. Although my rating remains one star, I decided to give two stars, which is closer to the average, because it's not fair to give one person two votes. (I would have given three stars, to match the average, if I didn't suspect that at least one review was written by Sacred Heart PR people!)