Convergys - Too Scripted | Glassdoor

"Too Scripted"

I have been working at Convergys full-time

Pros

Decent pay, optional overtime, Paid Time Off.

Cons

Very scripted, too much emphasis on sales rather than customer service.

Advice to Management

Denied PERMANENT Consent should actually mean permanent, not "ask every time they call."

Other Employee Reviews for Convergys

"I'm in the 6th week of training. The Instructor does not control the employees in her class and she plays loud music."

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Longview, TX

I have been working at Convergys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training pay is very reasonable.

Cons

There is an extreme lack of professionalism in the classroom. It is very hard to concentrate on what you are trying to learn.

Advice to Management

More control in the class room setting. In the class room I have been subjected to profanity, unacceptable sexual remarks, discrimination and a whole lot of other unprofessional activity. Please monitor the classrooms and instructors more carefully.

"Get treated like a meat-sack at work for poor pay, so you can help grandpa program his DirecTV remote."

Former Employee - DirecTV Tech Support in Pocatello, ID
    Former Employee - DirecTV Tech Support in Pocatello, ID

I worked at Convergys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were generally nice, as well as team-leaders

Cons

Upper management sets unreasonably high goals for metrics (e.g., expectation that on average a tech support call should take <10 minutes), and a culture of encouraging sales by giving us little rewards like candy and occasionally a lottery for a kindle that one person will get. It made me feel less like a professional, and more like I was being treated like a kid who's rewarded for doing his homework before dinner.

Also, I have moral qualms with pushing 2-year contract deals on people. If their hardware isn't working well, and the hardware upgrade means a faster turn-around for the problem to be fixed.. but also means they're locked in for 2 years on over-priced entertainment.. not ethical at all.

The working conditions in the call center were horrible as well. A layer of dust collected every day on the desks, even if I wiped it clean with alcohol every day, because there are so many people crammed into one building, and they don't replace the air filters often enough. I was told by a Team-Leader that when OSHA inspected the building, they only barely passed the standard for air quality. In addition, we were expected to share headsets, and put on our own earpads on the headsets every day - a serious cross-contamination problem for sickness. Just another way for the business to cut costs at the expense of the health of its workers.

Management also had an IT guy that worked out how to have a core team of senior call techs who got a regular schedule, and then everyone else always had a shifting schedule of days off (rarely contiguous... goodbye weekends) and start/end times for their shifts in order to optimize staffing according to expected call volume. The scheduling system was also only accessible from work computers, so if you didn't write it down on a piece of paper to take out with you.. you might miss your shift or be late on accident. The strict scheduling system + points system that could very easily lead to getting fired just for needing to taking off 3-4 days in a row made it feel like my life outside of work was entirely dominated by my work schedule, especially when there was forced overtime. At a job like that, people work to live, not live to work, and it's difficult to have a life outside of work when you never know what a computer will decide your work schedule will be. If management actually cared about people, they would give them fixed schedules and be content with being overstaffed occasionally.

Advice to Management

Take the health of your call center workers seriously. Don't aim for the bare minimum, especially when your business is to run large buildings jam packed with people - there should be better standards for this type of work, e.g.

I am given my own headset that I may connect/disconnect from the phones every day so I don't have to share the flu with someone.
    And/or I am allowed to have my OWN desk that is not shared with someone else when I'm off shift.
    And/or increase the amount of janitorial staff so that desks are cleaned and sanitized by them, so that I don't spend my own time doing it every day just so I don't get sick from working there.

I know several people that went through my training class had to quit after the first week or two (after being paid for a month to train) just because their asthma was inflamed so much by the bad air quality in the building. No one should have to work in a toxic environment like that.