Convergys - Our company was ripe for purchase when Convergys bought us out and the only good thing I got was cash for my stocks. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Convergys

"Our company was ripe for purchase when Convergys bought us out and the only good thing I got was cash for my stocks."

Former Employee - Network Technician in Lake Mary, FL
Former Employee - Network Technician in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Convergys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offered really good health insurance choices with a lot of options. That being said there really were not any more pros about the place, other than I had a job.

Cons

No raises were provided after we got bought out in 2008. Layoffs were abounding on a once every six month frequency. Middle management really was limited by the upper managers on what kinds of business plans could be executed. More often than not, upper management would simply provide bravado speeches and expect business to improve without adding the required resources.

Trying to move anywhere in the company was risky. Departments were being cut at very high frequencies.

Other Employee Reviews for Convergys

1. "My terrible experience with Convergys"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Convergys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was happy that the application process was quick and easy, and I started working within just a two weeks from applying. Training was great and the instructors made sure that you were prepared to do the job. Pay was better than my previous jobs, being $10.00/hour, and you had the potential to get a raise every 6 months based on attendance. Steady 40 hours/week, and option of overtime.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. Majority of the people that they hired were extremely unprofessional and trashy. They have no sense of respect or manners. Coworkers would sexually, and otherwise, harass me and management took no effort to address the issue. Long hours of sitting, with short breaks that do not even give you a change to get your food, let alone eat it. The environment and the people are not of high quality and standards. Any decent person would feel miserable and out of place working inside this company. I stayed there through training and then I left due to the environment, coworkers and their highly unprofessional behavior, and the exhausting nature of the hours of my shift.

Advice to Management

Watch the type of characters you are hiring. Perhaps if you had higher standards when you hire people, you would have better stats and workers would stay with your company longer because the environment will be much better. You are missing out on a lot of great workers by hiring trash. Also, longer breaks to make sure that your workers actually have a chance to eat.

"Work from Home selling UVerse: high pressure sales, some service, poor training."

Former Employee - Customer Sales & Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Sales & Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Convergys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was always as scheduled.

Cons

I applied for Customer Service and right before the last phone interview, I receive a new email with a new Job Description. The recruiter said make an offer on every call. No problem, I'm thinking, I worked at McDonalds, you offer fries, that's normal I guess. But, in fact, you are a UVerse Sales person. Suddenly service isn't first. Then, you may 3 really good attempts, and still don't take no for an answer. This, is bait & switch. Pay is 9.00 per hr, you must maintain very high cost landline and internet expense on your own, benefits are minimal and you pay for them. Commission is a joke. UVerse is near saturation. People mostly have already bundled it and you are basically getting calls from people trying to trim their budgets or who are trying to get more time to pay their bill, but do you get any training on that? NO. The schedule is known in advance but changes within all the quality hours of the day. You may be scheduled an 8hr shift starting at 7 am for a week, but the following week you start at 10:45 am. While you sign up for this, it's not clear the times will be at these extremes or that you won't be able to choose. While we make appointments far in advance on what you think will be your weekday off but by the time it comes near, your schedule has changed radically and you stupidly think you can draw upon your accumulating paid time off - NOPE. I have no idea when PTO is ever approved, though the internet portal you manage everything else through gives you the impression they could handle letting you have what you earned. But you can sure have UNPAID time off and get this counted against you. The computer system quickly makes these decisions and you just feel helpless and chained to your desk for answers. This impacted my ability to see a doctor, so I paid months for benefits I couldn't use because I couldn't afford to go without pay. If you have children or daycare schedules and no one who can handle that for you, this is a job you are doomed to have to quit. You don't really know anything first hand about the products; you get the same promotional material available on websites available to the public. Tutorials are out of date. All learning resources are done via VPN. If you want to remember it, you have to write it down. Very little is emailed and it's just as well because big things literally change over night. The arrogant team managers know this, but like anyone, sometimes forget this and you can expect to get conflicting instructions during peak times. Answers while in training and production are slow to come from team leads unless you are talking to a potential sale. Customers can spend as much time as they want on the line blasting off at the lack of customer service. Seems you run into people with pinned up anger and believe UVerse sales was all we were ever after at (AT&T) Convergys.

Advice to Management

Great scam to get employees turned to customers for a tiny discount on a phone plan and UVerse + people in your group insurance plans. Turnover is crazy, don't you care? Of course not. It's all about shareholder value.