Corbis - Great summer internship | Glassdoor

"Great summer internship"

Former Employee - An Intern in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - An Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

I can only reflect on the 3-4 month period I worked at Corbis. Unlike other intern programs, where they try to pile on the work that has been neglected for the past nine months, I was given applicable assignments that not only took the pressure off upper management but also gave me insight into how the Communications/PR division of the company operates.

I want to stress the word applicable. It pleased me to be given things to do that had substantial weight behind it, things that a "FTE" in my same position would do.

The upper management I had contact with seemed very thoughtful and extremely helpful in facilitating potential job opportunities for me down the line. There is a "laid back" attitude with management that made me feel comfortable bringing problems or concerns to their attention.

Cons

As stated in many other reviews, the company is still in a state of transition. Although there are a lot of exciting developments within the company, they still run very lean. This means larger workloads for people. From what I saw with the departments I worked with directly, the employees work very hard are are vested in what they are doing. It's too bad that they can't ease some of the pressure by hiring more across the board.

The company is also spread out. This can cause a bit of frustrations when trying to get information or answers from individuals. This is more of a personal frustration and doesn't really reflect on Corbis the company.

The high turnover is also a concern. From what i see, Corbis has a hard time holding on to employees. I don't think there is an easy answer as to why this is occurring. I'm sure it has to do with salary demands, industry changes, etc.

Advice to Management

I would love for the company to focus more on the employee culture and satisfaction, recognize when a department needs more support, and be proactive in supporting their employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Corbis

"Corbis has a great culture, great people, and a great work environment."

Former Employee - Junior Financial Associate Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Junior Financial Associate Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great career development potential
    Casual and collaborative work environment
    Management genuinely cares about employees
    Global company with international prestige and growth strategy

Cons

Company is in a state of flux as it is exiting from a retrenchment due to the recession and begins rapid expansion. Also, some office processes are antiquated.

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue global growth and acquisitions as a way to combat the threat of microstock proliferation. Keep the emphasis on making Corbis a great place to work.

2. "An interesting product and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The product is very interesting and there are a lot of great people working hard every day. The company has made some recent deals (with Splash and AP) that should make it a lot more competitive going forward.

Cons

There seem to be a lot of shifts in strategy, organization and direction, although the market is changing rapidly so some of this is understandable. Given all the changes, I sometimes struggle to understand where the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Focus less on improvements in the bottom line, and more on the people that are getting you there. Choose a strategy and stick to it for enough time for it to be successful.