Corbis - Surprise = Corbis still exists with yucky leaders | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Corbis

"Surprise = Corbis still exists with yucky leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individual contributors who are hard working
Close to all fun places in Seattle
ORCA Pass (I traveled from distance)

Cons

VERY VERY Old IT systems and very very poor leadership. Not sure why she is still there when = the team is gone.
CEO - Who has no clue of how to run a company - the one person who had some smarts president is not there either
Direction changing every time
New employees are hired instead of contractors to reduce cost and have them be laid off

Advice to Management

Advice to Owner - Take control or sell it off to Getty

Other Employee Reviews for Corbis

"Crazy little dysfunctional company where decisions are made in the vacuum of space."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Corbis as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Many really good, hard working people at an individual contributor level motivated to do their best for the customers, the products and ultimately the company. A company that is willing to try new business ventures, even if it appears they don' t have a clue what they are doing. Given good background information decisions can be made quickly. Those decisions won't stick, but at least they are made without much fanfare and triple justification. Decent location, casual work style, funky, (perhaps even cool?) building. I enjoyed working with nearly everyone @ Corbis and the work I did, I also enjoyed.

Cons

Dwindling business model, dysfunctional company and hire/RIF waves every 6 months.

Getty, Corbis and a host of microstock companies. That's really the market. Yea, for Corbis, the purchase of Splash, Demotix, Norm Marshall with the spin up of Greenlight Music may help broaden the market, but not sure how they will all fit together. I suspect they won't. Product development appears very spur of the moment with little thought towards a cohesive strategy..

The company has crushed it's most senior/mid management layers, and with that in some cases promoted some way beyond their skillset and abilities. This contributes to the dysfunctional behavior. A decent manager @ Corbis is rare. For the most part first and second level management that remains doesn't really act like it's their job to be involved. Lastly and in many cases the most obvious, what remains of existing senior leadership makes some of the poorest business decisions I've ever seen.

Corbis staffing and resouce planning is chaos at it's best. RIFs (reduction in force) and new hires waves seem to cycle on the 6 month interval. In some cases they made correct decisions, but in other cases the wrong decisions. Not unheard of but that is whole reason you HAVE management.

For a company owned by one of the most recognized technincal visionaries of our generation, the pile of technical debt at Corbis is astonishing, and frankly acts like a huge ball and chain for the entire company, Either important business processes aren't done, or somewhat sporatic as critical systems fail.

Advice to Management

Instead of doing 19 things really poorly, how about a little focus on 2-3 that really make sense and match a well developed, cohesive business strategy? If you can't accomplish that, then just ACT that way, and you're halfway there.

2. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Corbis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks and company moral

Cons

internal promotions are limited and rarely done

Advice to Management

promote internally