Core Digital Media - Great Place To Work | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great Place To Work"

I have been working at Core Digital Media full-time

Pros

metrics driven organization full of fun people

Cons

i dont have anything bad to say

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Strong company culture - attempt at being transparent as a company.
    -Managers are invested with both company objectives and employee moral.
    -Structure with goal

Cons

-can be a challenge to move up in the company.

"Minimal work life balance, unclear vacation policy, management problems"

Former Employee - Project Management in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at Core Digital Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros:
    Really not many pro’s other than the regular office write-offs that most millennial focused companies offer to include:

- Free breakfast on Friday's (although these are disappearing fast)
    - The office is nice and modern
    - Regular onsite training with free lunches

Cons

Factory Style Time Management Practices in Tech:

Non Transparent vacation policy. Hours worked counted and tracked by HR and management to gauge loyalty, often leads to technology worker’s sticking around to late in the night as fear based practices of job security remain.

One particular instance I will never forget is the great fires of 2017 and how the 405 was barely passable from the SFV. My manager, who seemed unfit for the position, acted as though this was not the case and didn't allow me to work from home even though I physically couldn’t get to Playa Vista from the San Fernando Valley. Eventually HR stepped in and sorted it out but it was just one highlight of inappropriate behavior from a problem manager.

Advice to HR would be to rename the vacation policy “ if your manager likes you enough to let you off - but you must work harder to compensate “. For instance, when asking my manager for time-off to return home to visit family which was totally within the acceptable two weeks standard per year, the response would astound any working professional in technology today.

“ Why do you you want to go home, I can’t just grant you time-off for no reason”.

The manager, a grating autocratic persona who exhibited no empathy for the team with which they managed forced me to divulge information of unwell family members for apparent valid reasoning to approve my time off.

The time-off request was made aware to the manager in April 2018 for a trip to occur in September, more than 6 months notice for a period of one week. In addition to the distasteful (and I don’t know - illegal?) practices within which I was forced to request time-off, the manager then made it her mission to find projects that I would need to take on in order to “ make up for the week I was taking off “.

For an employee like myself, I get that when personnel time is coming up, one usually puts in extra effort to ensure sufficient coverage etc. But these situations were by-far-and-large out of the ordinary.

While verbally “ approving “ the week off, the manager continually brought it up in my weekly 1/1’s as a bargaining tool, and actually didn’t officially approve the request in ADP until 1 day prior to my departure.

HR acknowledged the inappropriate behavior and replaced that manager with a junior counterpart, which made matters worse as this person was untrained, had poor people skills, and sought endless spreadsheets with colors and fine details to illustrate big picture work. Micromanaged.

The ordeal ended with 50% of the team securing employment with competitors and left a visible mental scar, and a solid “ bad experience “ in our collective career histories.

It was unreal. Our team had invented jokes in order to tolerate and process the behavior we were collectively experiencing. When late by 10-15 minutes in the morning (not hard to do in LA) we would joke that one would receive “ corporal punishment “ for the occurrence. Not at all the type of thing people think they would experience in a job, on the west coast, in sunny california, in 2018.

Word of warning for job seekers. If you’re in need of a paycheck and value a work-life balance, do not apply for jobs or interview with this company.

In anticipation of the HR response. This review is not that of a disgruntled ex-employee but someone who wanted to share their experience in order to help prospective job-seekers going forward.

If half the people were to share their experiences here more often, then I think HR would be motivated to try and deal with their organizational problems, instead of hoping they will go away.
    Other cons:

- Work estimation techniques flawed
    - Culture Of Chaos
    - Low integrity
    - Bullying

Advice to Management

Clean House: In general large parts of the technology department should be replaced as its turned into a top-heavy department with fear based tactics used regularly. There are technical subject matter technical experts fully focused on scheduling, instead of solving problems or doing the work. This should not be overlooked. In my opinion, there are vast amounts of occurrences with hoarding of information and silo mentality. The complete middle management should be disassembled and new hires should be brought onto the teams. The majority of new hires are junior/mid level, with the senior employees having the bulk of tenure. People leave quickly too.

Do more to discourage abusive behavior: This should be taken seriously. There is large scale behavioral issues existing throughout this organization from inappropriate dress to a problem with gossiping and bullying.Do more than attending some trainings on how to combat and discourage this behavior and actively take action when it rears its head.

Really just need to increase the trust. You’ve lost it totally and organizing a timed game of football outside feels more like forced socialization than team building as these are often required attendance in order to qualify for discounted health insurance.

Core Digital Media Response

Oct 24, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the feedback in this review and we have been, and will continue to, address concerns brought forth by current and former employees. We believe this review is not an accurate... More

Discover more reviews about Core Digital Media.