KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Take the good with the bad - Mechanical Engineer for CLASSE

Aug 24, 2017 - Research Support Specialist II in Ithaca, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work content is great, challenging, exciting, and always evolving. The people are pleasant to work with, driven, and very knowledgeable. Great vacation and sick day policy. Great creative and general freedom in the workplace.

Cons

The pay is laughable and you are typically responsible for many more things than you would be if you were in industry.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Cornell University Response

Staffing Consultant

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback. Cornell takes the compensation and benefits of our employees very seriously. In fact, we use the data from over 50 national surveys to compare a number of factors including, industry, geographic region, education, years of experience and more to determine our pay ranges. If you would like to have a further discussion about your pay rate, please don’t hesitate to speak with your manager and HR representative.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great university, claustrophobic city

Sep 28, 2022 - Postdoctoral Research Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved the university and my research team

Cons

Hated Ithaca, it's a really tiny town and very isolated. And it's cold 8 months out of the year.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid

Sep 10, 2022 - Program Coordinator in Ithaca, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well known company for the area Free stuff working for a university (e.g., t-shirts, events)

Cons

I guess it can vary depending on department, but in my experience I’ve seen: -high turnover -heavy middle management with few admins who are overworked and treated as scapegoats. -toxic environment with management who believe that being tough is the best way to lead - even though people on their team keep leaving. -Management views you as a “worker bee” not someone they can invest in and develop. It’s a very one-sided transaction. -admins are given zero support. You’re doing someone else’s work for them… so they will micromanage you to death until it’s done “their way”. Yet they refuse to communicate what their way is up front and expect you to read their minds. It’s maddening.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Cornell University.

Cornell University Photos