Cornerstone Research - Great company, great people, great deal for clients | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cornerstone Research

"Great company, great people, great deal for clients"

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People here are generally pretty nice, smart, and try to do the right thing.

Cons

Can be long hours, and pressure at times.

Advice to Management

Hire more people?

Other Employee Reviews for Cornerstone Research

"Long hours and limited opportunities"

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some very smart people on some high profile cases. There are many opportunities to develop your quantitative analysis and communication skills. Because analysts are constantly coming and going, you have the opportunity to assume lots of responsibility early in your career.

If you plan on earning an MBA, Cornerstone can help you get into top schools.

Cons

The hours are by far the worst part of the job. We tell prospective hires they will work an average of 50 hours per week, but it will probably be much more than that. If your average is that low it will be a mix of weeks where you sit in the office doing nothing and plenty of 80 hour weeks. There will be unexpected late nights and weekend work,. There will also be weekends you will bill no hours but are unable to do anything else because you are on call. The compensation will seem much less impressive if you calculate your hourly rate.

The work will include boring tasks such as data entry, compiling bibliographies, or checking footnotes.

Most of the managers are very smart PhD economists, but they often lack managerial and organizational skills.

Exit opportunities other than going to graduate school are very limited, and it is rare to make the jump from analyst to associate.

Advice to Management

Balance casework with available staff or be more upfront about the hours required.

Invest more in management training.

"Sold my soul... under market rates"

Former Employee - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cornerstone Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your Excel skills will be amazing, and you will develop these and analytical abilities very quickly. The reason you'll develop so quickly is because you will work double the hours of your friends working 9 to 5-7, believe me when I say no matter how hardcore you think you are for acing college exams, this isn't worth it (assuming you're not in mgmt. consulting or I-Banking getting mad money for doing it).

The only reason I'd recommend this job to someone is if they're from a no-name school and they are able to get an offer. It will boost your resume for a decent MBA program, but if you have any other opportunities it's not worth it.

Cons

1. I was told I would work 50 hours average a week, this was a lie, I rarely worked less than 70.
    2. There is a "Overtime Bonus" to compensate people for all their extra hours worked, it's a joke, the people that worked the most that I knew got about the equivalent of one paycheck.

With these tiny "Overtime Bonusses" it is very much in management's favor to have analysts work overtime instead of hiring new analysts... my prediction is that this is unsustainable because talented people recognize that they should get paid for their work

Advice to Management

Stop selling the job as something it's not, also, stop searching out the employees who leave bad reviews on Glassdoor and making them take them down, yes, CR does do that.