Cost Plus - world marker | Glassdoor

"world marker"

Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL
Former Employee - Department Head in Sanford, FL

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours with good management and customer service. Employer will put you through school if willing to show commitment. They are very good at hiring within.

Cons

Retail hours and long hours during the holiday season. Interpersonal problems apparent within the staffing. Pay is below average for the assistant managers.

Advice to Management

I would like to see more effort in getting the new employees up to speed when hired

Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus

"Common sense isn't easy for everyone, especially World Market."

Current Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bookkeeper in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy environment to adjust to if your a seasoned retail worker -e.g. you do most of the work and others ether take credit or your efforts go completely unnoticed.

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities. advancement is about schmoozing upper management and not based on work ethic/performance.

Register and bookkeeping systems are so old and outdated that simple tasks take much longer than they should, and makes it very easy for thrifty management to steal without blame!

Wide disagreement among management about certain procedures and rules, training is practically non-existent, simple information for new associates is only learned through constant prodding of a supervisor, who will often disagree or contradict the information or instructions of another supervisors or managers insight.

It would behoove OSHA to make random visits to any of WM warehouses, as employees are in constant jeopardy of sustaining concussions due to the sloppy and cramped spaces where they are expected to complete freight and furniture load outs. Inventory is obviously not a priority as often there will be no room on the sales floor to work freight in with existing freight! Trucks come on thursday's so between running aronud trying to complete customer requests and helping the lines along at the registers, there is hardly time to complete freight in the allotted time during the weekend and early week before the next arrives. Products are not sold fast enough to compensate for the replacements.

lack of 30% WM explorer sign ups are constantly used as a tool to reprimand employees.

Seasoned employees train new employees (in my case, I trained a supervisor after being a cashier for 5 months) with no extra compensation or appreciation.

Hours are laughably inconsistent, schedule is often never correct. Most workers are part time and management will hire more people and cut staff's hours to compensate for newbies. Management turns a blind eye to simple scheduling requests such as "dont schedule me to open when I close the night before."

Advice to Management

Work your store, train new associates! Management takes too much time to respond to service pages, knows less about current products/sales/coupons than average cashier, hides in the back office when store is busy, uses negative reinforcement to motivate employees. continually breaks shift change protocol (counting register after cashier is done ringing) overall does not help, but hinders work morale and productivity.

"Decent working environment, Fun encouraged"

Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Our managers promote having fun in the workplace and enjoying your job.
    + Most of the employees are friendly and personable.
    + Good employee discount. (rumored to be reducing in November from 30% to 20%, however)
    + Good working environment, understanding managers.
    + Decent hours and shift-splitting (You will typically work part of your shift as Sales Leader, and part on Cashier)
    + Great products that you can really get behind.
    + Feedback from managers is a constant. Evaluations are a constant. If you're having trouble, they will help you. They want to help, never hinder; and they're really good about making suggestions to help you with things while you're learning.
    + Buddy system for new hires. While this can leave some things out, this enables a learning-by-doing type atmosphere and I quite enjoyed it.
    + Creativity and employee input is highly encouraged. If you think the stuff by the register looks crappy, you can change it out (within reason). If the plan-a-gram for holiday doesn't make sense or look aesthetically pleasing, you can change it; and it's encouraged that you make things look great; like something someone would like to buy.
    + The experiences. You will meet some really awesome people by way of your shoppers. Some jerks, too, but hey--it's retail. But you get a lot of immigrants and people visiting from other countries looking for things from 'home'. They have great things to share.
    + Open door policy with general manager; ability to speak your mind if something is bothering you.
    + Recognition cards are posted in the break room when you do a good job, and you can post them about anyone, as well.

Cons

- Having to scrub toilet seats with spray and toilet tissues (even while wearing gloves, this is disgusting). [if you are closing back end]
    - Having to mop the bathrooms and clean the break room. [if you are closing back end]
    - Things can get quite dusty at times, and it can be difficult.
    - Customers that aren't interested in the WME (explorer) program that get belligerent (happens more than you'd think)
    - New policy that says we cannot suggest a phone number when signing people up for Explorer program. Most people don't really put it together that your phone number IS a ten-digit number. This policy makes things rather confusing, and a bit tricky.
    - Tracking employee's WME sign-ups without rewards past pat-on-the-back. If you want to encourage this data, there should be a reward beyond "woo good job employee on your WME %"
    - Differences between managers managerial styles can get vastly confusing very quickly.
    - Having to stay later than scheduled due to the time it takes to clean in the evenings after a long day. [if you are closing]
    - The new clock in/ clock out system. Man. Most complicated machine ever that does practically nothing. It's a pain to learn. I mean in theory, awesome, but geez. I rather have a touch screen type system if we're going to get this complex with clocking in and out.
    - Only getting a schedule for one week at a time. This can cause some jumping through hoops.

Advice to Management

Having a cleaning crew, especially for the holidays would be awesome, since after working 6+ hours, no one wants to go scrub dirty toilets and mop the back end, and then also face the whole messy messy back half of the store. Also, adjusting the closing shift hours would probably be a good idea if you're not going to assign a crew just to clean; give 1.5 hours to do closing, instead of having us work extendedly over the end of our shift. I know this doesn't always happen, but when it does, it can make it real hard on us workers.