Cost Plus - Exciting and everchanging | Glassdoor

"Exciting and everchanging"

Former Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to think and create

Cons

Recently purchase by another large retailer

Advice to Management

keep the culture alive

Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus

1. "Fun atmosphere, good company"

Current Employee - Beverage Department Head
    Current Employee - Beverage Department Head

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, relaxed atmosphere, all store employees encouraged to feel involved in store's success

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

"Brings a whole new meaning to "busy.""

Current Employee - Furniture Lead
    Current Employee - Furniture Lead

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is definitely the most demanding retail job I've ever worked, but over all, I like it more than the rest. The time really flies by quickly, and on some days because of the responsibility I wish I could slow it down and get more done. I work as the furniture lead, so I've got a never ending list of furniture to build, schematics to set, rugs to hang, rain checks to follow up on and pallets to stack, unstack and restack. While doing that I have to be a jack of all trades, as unlike big department retailers the "That's not really my department," answer is non-applicable. There is a clear expectation that you have to be versed in all areas of the store and be able to help any customer anywhere with anything. I rotate to the register about once a day if I'm there during store hours, and then act as sales lead for 1 - 4 hours just depending on the staffing and what projects I have to do. Frequently at work as early as 3am to 5am, often no later than 8am because of the frequent amount of furniture builds. I don't mind getting up for work so early for the most part, because it means I'm out pretty early and I'd rather be working early mornings than late nights. I frequently assist the people in receiving, and they help me out a lot and are all really great people. I'm expected to think of and implement ways to increase and drive sales. As a result I've had to develop an eye for aesthetics because I have some freedom in doing this and ultimately I make a lot of decisions regarding where/how merchandise should be put on display. I'm a guy, and I struggle with this, but fortunately there are a lot of female associates in the store that previously worked in my job and that have a more enlightened perspective on home décor and I've survived that part so far. I feel undervalued for all the work that I get done here, making less than 10 dollars an hour but will probably ask for a raise before too long and see how that goes. My bosses are fair and personable, my fellow leads and associates are great to work with. It's not inappropriate to laugh at work. Vacation and healthcare. Some choice in attire at work. Lunch is short but you get additional breaks. Breaks the day up and makes it go quicker I think. They really, really emphasize customer service here. They do use secret shoppers to rate employee/store/company performance, and while it can seem monotonous or overwhelming I think the goal of it is to make you comfortable interacting with customers in a way that is tangible, which will definitely improve your people skills. If you can't go up and start a conversation with a stranger, you will be doing it without thinking after working here for a couple of months. I'm considered part time "over", which means typically 33 - 35 hours a week.

Cons

Just not really getting paid enough.

Advice to Management

Three stars over all because of the pay. I don't want to sound totally ungrateful, because I am thankful that this company offers a great deal more than most other retail establishments, but I feel like this is definitely a $12 an hour job. Maybe more. If I made $12 I would be willing to stick around and see how working here pans out, as it is, it looks like a stepping stone between graduating with a bachelors and moving on for a second degree. I'm working my ass off here, and if I made a little more, I might actually you know.... like it. I am enjoying the work, I just don't feel like I'm earning what I'm putting into it. That's all that's missing.