Cost Plus - If I could, I'd Leave | Glassdoor

"If I could, I'd Leave"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Cost Plus part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The 'ok' discount
- Some of the co-workers

Cons

- Management disregarding availability when it comes to scheduling. Nobody enjoys being scheduled to close for three weeks in a row while also being a uni student.

- The lack of floor coverage--some days there will only be three sales associates in the store. That's it. Don't even think about it if someone calls out of work, everything is done.

- The rotation of "prime" cashier is horrible and nonexistent.

- The lack of communication in the store between associates, and between management which forces cashiers to use the intercom to announce Service calls. Only the management has phones to speak to associates but that's such a useless one-way system.

- World Market management works on the system of "building a case," whereas you can consistently do something wrong (and they see you do it wrong!) but they don't correct you. Oh, you'll hear about all your mistakes at a later date instead of them correcting you at the time.

- Management preaches the whole "team" spirit BS but there's no team. Everyone is out for themselves, which is seen when you're calling a Service 20 and nobody arrives even though other associates are within eyesight. They're too busy doing nothing.

- Not enough people scheduled for daily business or closing. You need more than two sales associates, the supervisors closing never do anything.

- There is no way to move up in management unless you've been hired as a lead already, at least at my store. Forget about a raise as well.

- For the amount of work they expect you to do with enthusiasm they sure don't pay enough.

Advice to Management

- Schedule enough people on the floor and three people to close, especially on the weekend.

- Pay attention to how many hours sales associates have requested, especially if it's less than what has been scheduled. You burn part timers out.

- Some sort of communication system besides the intercom system via the phones to ensure everyone can contact one another.

Other Employee Reviews for Cost Plus

1. "Fun atmosphere, good company"

Current Employee - Beverage Department Head
    Current Employee - Beverage Department Head

I have been working at Cost Plus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, relaxed atmosphere, all store employees encouraged to feel involved in store's success

Cons

Workload can be heavy at times

2. "Exciting and everchanging"

Former Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Cost Plus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to think and create

Cons

Recently purchase by another large retailer

Advice to Management

keep the culture alive