Costco Wholesale - Hard work pays off | Glassdoor

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Tire Installer in Leesburg, VA
Current Employee - Tire Installer in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great base pay for someone young with great potential for growth and advancement in responsibility and pay.

Cons

Extremely fast paced environment with little tolerance for lack of hustle and focus especially during 90 day review period

Advice to Management

Biggest (personal) issue I have dealt with is lack of communication between supervisors/managers and schedule changes without relaying information to individual employees. This results in many "lates" and "no call no show" which the employee is always held accountable for and not those who are making changes without telling those who it affects.

Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale

"Warehouse first, employees last"

Former Employee - Photo in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Photo in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Wages
    -Medical
    -401K
    -Bonuses
    -Vacation
    -Raise amounts
    -You can make some great lifelong friends.

Cons

-Lack of good management
    -Warehouse first/employees last mentality
    -Favoritism within management
    -Power trip mentality
    -Good managers/Supervisors who should move up, don't because of the corruption of higher management
    -Don't air any grievances. Odds are, they will be used against you.
    - Don't offer suggestions for improvement. When I did this, I was talked about constantly in the office by management.

Advice to Management

Jim Sinegal was a great leader. Sadly, he has been replaced by a board of directors. He actually cared about his employees. Things have changed.

Corporate Level:
    -Perform unannounced visits - catch the store managers by surprise and you will see what truly goes on. Take time to speak to the hourly employees by themselves not in front of a manager, the employee will know better than to tell you the truth.
    -Fire abusive or unprofessional managers. Don't just move them to another location--reason I was fired, new GM who was sent to a new location, mine. Set up a proper channel to air grievances and properly investigate them, actually follow your open door policy. The person you are having issues with should NOT be in the room at the time!

Warehouse Level:
    -Stop berating employees,
    -Listen to the people who work for you. Some of the people I worked with were very intelligent and had some great ideas. They were ignored though because they were part-time, had not been there long enough, or they were just plain resented because they thought of something management did not (happened to me all of the time!)

"Costco How fun"

Former Employee - RTV Clerk in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - RTV Clerk in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Costco pays well and also provides a variety of schedules to work. They also allow students to go on student retention and still keep their seniority. On Sundays you get paid time and a half and after 90 days you get holiday pay.

Cons

It is a retail job so expect to work weekends. Also in recent years the company has become alot less family friendly,extending the weekend hours ect. Costco preaches that there is tons of opportunity for career advancement but it really depends on the area of the country you work in. The Pacific NW is stagnant.

Advice to Management

I think that corporate needs to make sure that the promises they make to employees are actually carried out at the warehouse level.