"Awesome place to work, especially if you're a college student"

5.0
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are the best part about working at costco. They really take care of you. You start at $13/hr and just go up from there. The 401k is awesome. I've contributed 15% of my pay for ~2 years and I just hit five figures as young 20 something. If it wasn't for costco I wouldn't have utilized a retirement account anytime soon. I also think their company culture is very relaxed. A lot of people break dress code and no one cares. But really you can just wear a nice pair of khaki shorts and a polo and you're good. Very rarely does any one get mad, upset etc. I hardly ever feel stressed or rushed at work. My job in the Bakery is the easiest job in the world. Sometimes you need to be on point and work hard, but there are definitely slow days where you're on cruise control (and just for reference I work in a high volume store). It's not hard to move up in the company. Many, many people have gone from a worker bee to supervisor in under 2 years and that puts you at the top of the payscale (~$25/hr). The longer you're with the company the more preference you get when it comes to scheduling, moving to different positions etc. This makes it very fair in my opinion. Why should someone who just started working the other week work 7-3:30? No the guy who has been here for 5 years gets that shift. Costco has employee cookouts, free food sometimes, wellness programs, a physical therapist who comes in and helps with any pain you may have. They really care about you as an employee. You can take winter leave every year which grants 4 weeks off anytime during Jan-March. This can definitely be helpful if you ever need a break for work, or want an extended vacation. If you are a go getter, work hard, do what you're supposed to etc you can go as far as you want. The people who are miserable working at Costco are not miserable because of Costco. You can certainly live a great life making a career at costco.

Cons

I think the biggest thing problem is with the coworkers. Costco protects their employees well, and in my opinion almost too well. It is almost impossible to get fired unless you do something really, really stupid. This allows people to get away with things they shouldn't get away with. There is also potential for micromanagement. A supervisor or manager will make or break your job. I've had supervisors who simply want to display their power and make your life harder for no other reason than that they can. Some managers are great with scheduling, time off, man management and so forth, some aren't. A lot of my coworkers are pretty rude. I'm surprised that with the attitude and entitlement of ~1/2 of the workers at my store are employed, let alone employed at costco. There are some really nice people that make up for it though. To sum it up Costco as a company is great, your experience 100% depends on the people who you work with.

Continue reading

"Fast-Paced Welcoming Culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

Friendly, something new each day

Cons

Not always flexible with schedule changes

"Real Pros and Cons"

4.0
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Costco Wholesale.