Costco Wholesale - Golden handcuffs | Glassdoor

"Golden handcuffs"

Current Employee - Front End Assistant
Current Employee - Front End Assistant

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

It's a solid company. They offer great products at great prices and they're good at what they do. I only work part-time and I still get full benefits for my husband and myself.

Cons

Standing on concrete for 8 hours straight really wears on your body no matter how good your shoes are. It's tough to get promoted mostly because there aren't that many positions in a warehouse. They need lower level employees the most. I've heard the managers refer to Costco as offering the golden handcuffs because they do pay well. A cashier can be making over $20 an hour with time and a half on sundays. You also get full benefits, sick pay, vacation, and 401K. It's really great for someone who doesn't have whole lot of ambition. However, a lot of people have big dreams but after being as Costco a few years they're making decent money and can't afford to quit even if the job is painfully mind-numbing. Hence, the golden handcuffs.

Advice to Management

Offer new things to keep minds stimulated.

Other Employee Reviews for Costco Wholesale

"Food Court Assistant"

Current Employee - Food Court in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Food Court in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for part time workers

Cons

Bad management for Roseville, CA Food court department

2. "The Most Can-Do , Family attitude workplace that I have experienced in my 40 year career - by Far"

Former Intern - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Columbus, OH

I worked at Costco Wholesale as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They have an attitude that says that if they hire you, they will take the necessary steps to insure your long term success. They encourage long term thinking with key benefits, working conditions and buddies to help you get started right and encourage your next steps upward.

Cons

Not enough stores in central Ohio. I heard that they are opening another store in Easton in October'13.

Advice to Management

Continue to download as much company news to the employees as prudent. This may deepen their interest and concern which will increase the employee's efforts to continue the forward momentum (sales, stock price, memberships).