Cotton On - Poor | Glassdoor

"Poor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Cotton On as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

not particularly challenging, easy job

Cons

limited responsibilities, unfriendly staff, poor reward system

Other Employee Reviews for Cotton On

1. "Friendly with a harsh bite"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

Pros

Their flexibility when it come to school or personal availability is good. He people are all friendly and you meet a lot of interesting people. The key holders and sales associates all become close. Though it gets clichey like any other job.

Cons

When you are unavailable to come in when they call you even though you aren't scheduled causes some tension. You get scolded and your hours consequently get cut. As sort of slap on the wrist. They expect you to be at their beck and call. Also the discount is not enough whenthey expect us to wear all their product all the time. I get 30 percent off and we often offer customers that much on special promotions. I might as wellnot even have a discount. You get in trouble a lot when your sales aren't up to their ridiculously high percentage even when the store is exceeding its budget goal significantly. They breathe down your neck all he time and nothing is ever perfect enough or reaching their standards. Though you get praise there is always a slew of critiques to follow.
    Many employees quit after about 3 months because of the harsh treatment. I have been their almost a year and only because it's hard to find another job!!

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much pressure on employees and listen to what they have to say. Stop making a simple sales associate job feel like a commitment. This isn't for many of us a career that we are married to.

2. "Just ok"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

It's an hourly position so when you have to work OT you will get paid for it. Lots of freedom managing your own team. There is room for growth but only if you are willing to be in certain cities.

Cons

Communication could be improved. Most communication is done by fax.
    Payroll is as low as can be. Employees are underpaid and overworked with unrealistic expectations from senior management. Health benefits are just ok. Little freedom over how to merchandise the store. Everything must be exactly how corporate dictates. Don't believe it when they tell you they will soon be giving store managers bonuses for meeting sales goals. It's not true. They also don't give reviews, annual raises, or focus on your leadership development.

Advice to Management

Give your team annual reviews and raises. Focus on team development, not just every task that needs to be completed.