CouchSurfing - Empowered and encouraged to be creative | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CouchSurfing

"Empowered and encouraged to be creative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Couchsurfing is a small startup with a very passionate userbase that have had life changing experiences through Couchsurfing. The company is currently totally redeveloping the entire website, along with its mobile apps, giving employees a unique opportunity to solve complex problems while having the freedom of creating new solutions.

All of the teams and employees are empowered to come up with solutions, with management acting as good mentors and guides. I've found all of the management very easy to talk to, and always open for feedback.

My favorite part about working at Couchsurfing is seeing the company working on new and better technology to solve problems the community has been dealing with for many years. I'm excited for the world to see a modern Couchsurfing service that makes it easier for members to have amazing experiences.

Cons

In contrast to most startups, Couchsurfing has been around for nearly 10 years. During this time, the website became quite outdated and dysfunctional, and the community's relationship with the company started to sour. The current Couchsurfing staff are remaking the entire website, while also rebuilding and repairing relationships with some of the long-time members.

Advice to Management

Push hard, stay focused, and keep the vision of a better Couchsurfing in the minds of everyone

Other Employee Reviews for CouchSurfing

"A great idea going quickly down the drain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Group meals and fun office space.

Cons

Gross mis-management issues destroying the unique vibe and replacing it with a culture of fear and "Yes Men".

When I started, this seemed like the best job ever. Even in just the year or so that I've been here I've seen the company rapidly decline. Any sort of mission or vision focus has been completely erased. Most of the original people have quit or been let go through regular mass layoffs. Those who have managed to hang on to their jobs have learned to do whatever the head guy tells them to and not to ask questions. My job is no longer about making decisions or creating, it's about pushing buttons. I just hope I can hang on to it long enough to find a new one elsewhere. There's no passion here any longer.

I hope the Couchsurfing community finds a way to survive with CS or without.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to you. I hope I can leap frog onto the next job before you fire me.

"Mismanaged startup with big issues"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CouchSurfing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture, unique headquarters, on site chef, travel benefits.

Cons

Low salaries, top-down management, frequent unexpected firings/layoffs, lack of direction or leadership, unwilling to be honest with themselves about poor results, lost touch with product's core community/beginnings.

Nearly every original employee of CouchSurfing has quit or been laid off in a very short period of time in 2012 (since the organizational transition that took place in April 2012) due to either poor engineering management and disenchantment with how much the organization's lost touch with its roots.