County of Marin - I love my job | Glassdoor

"I love my job"

Pros

We care about our consumers

Cons

no overtime ability or ability to come in after hours

Advice to Management

Supporting staff and valuing input keeps me wanting to do more than my best.

Other Employee Reviews for County of Marin

"Excellent Work/Life Balance, Business Ops Needs Help"

Current Employee - Information Technology in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Information Technology in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at County of Marin full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most employees enjoy very reasonable accommodations for when their non-work life interjects on their work hours. While there are many staff who put in more time than their paid hours per day, nobody is encouraged to do so.

Depending on which department and program you work in, the work can be incredibly meaningful. Your coworkers will generally be very intelligent and top-notch team players.

Cons

The pay has fallen far behind the cost of living in the Bay Area, especially Marin. Despite your graduate/doctorate degree and other qualifications, you will need a second income to make ends meet in your household.

There are few opportunities to move up, and there are many "lifers" in top management positions. The merit hiring and classification system is unfortunately structured so that it pushes those with talent and proficiency out unless they want to take on managerial roles. Nothing squelches good and reliable output from employees than forcing them to do something they have no experience, training, or interest in, and it shows.

There is a profound lack of business operations, too much backwards thinking, and endless resistance to change. If you like spending most of your time doing tasks that should have been automated, simplified, or reasonably structured over two decades ago, you will be right at home. It you enjoy trying to implement operational changes in a Sisyphean culture, you will love it in Marin.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. If you are trying to be transparent you are doing it wrong. Diversity is embracing and encouraging our differences, not making sure there are fewer humans with specific physical traits. Execs and Directors - please start introducing healthy conflict into your dialog, tiptoeing around your differences does everybody a disservice. Stop allowing the abuse of non-benefited positions, cut the obvious wastes of money elsewhere and hire the FTEs we all know are sorely needed.

2. "Learn from many local government leaders"

Current Intern - Intern in San Rafael, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at County of Marin as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, work space, and passion. People love what they do and are great resources to learn from. And the building is awesome!

Cons

Although the location is beautiful and the building amazing, the commute is daunting and almost impossible to avoid. Government work can also be on the slow side (checks, red tape, etc) but still rewarding

Advice to Management

Na