County of San Diego - I survived it for 20 years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for County of San Diego

"I survived it for 20 years."

Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Environmental Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at County of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are different programs to pick from, Haz Mat, Land Use, Food & Housing. Which program you choose to work will have a direct impact upon your job satisfaction. Also, your job happiness will depend upon your own individual goals. It you just want a job, you most likely will be content in any of the programs. If you are career oriented, stay OUT of the Food & Housing program. As I spent 17 of my 20 years with the Food & Housing program prior to transferring to Haz Mat, my comments will be directed toward the Food & Housing.
Nice people to work with here. The job usually entails your being out on your own in the field.

Cons

As stated above, nearly all the people in this program and pleasant. On the downside, the majority of those who work in this area are just idiots. They have no idea of what their job function is, or the laws governing it. The comments and questions they ask during staff meetings can make a sane person want to bang their head against a wall. If, in their minds something isn't right, they will write it as a violation regardless whether it is illegal or improper. The majority need to be constantly reminded of what the laws and dept policies are. If you posses half a brain and have any feelings of self worth, you'll stay OUT of this program. Promotions are not based upon ability, but upon how enthusiastic you appear to be.

Advice to Management

Learn the rule of law(s) for what it is you're suppose to be enforcing. Review the work of staff, make sure they are complying.

Other Employee Reviews for County of San Diego

"The good, bad and indifferent..."

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at County of San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some fantastic people here, who are passionate about their work, and are experts in their field!

Cons

Like most public sector agencies, it is IMPOSSIBLE to effectively reward the best, or penalize the worst. Too many do the bare minimum for their positions (watching the clock to hit 5 so they can escape) and push their responsibilities onto the shoulders of their subordinate staff.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have an outside agency #1 standardize performance expectations, and #2 survey staff anonymously to determine where performance is lacking, and #3 initiate an intensive review of policy (I know Unions would rail against all of this)

2. "So far I have really enjoyed working for the County"

Current Employee - Student Worker in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Worker in San Diego, CA

I have been working at County of San Diego part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super flexible with Student Worker schedules, you get county holidays off, good experience for students

Cons

Student workers are not eligible for benefits, only able to work 90 days past graduation date and you must take at least 12 units every semester to remain employed

Advice to Management

Allow more promotion for student workers. Although I feel I am gaining good experience, I feel like there is not a high probability of being employed full-time after graduation.