County of Santa Clara - Former Employee | Glassdoor

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Support Services in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Support Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at County of Santa Clara full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will enjoy great County benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, differential pay, pension and other... Seniority is a big deal so plan to work for a very long time. You will enjoy working with a lot of people with different background, culture and enthnicity. With patience and good work ethics, you will learn to become a great civil servant. You will understand that you only have your job because of the citizen you are serving. After all, you will be happier when you receive your monthly retirement checks.

Cons

Very difficult and long hiring process. Pay scales are much lower than private industry jobs. Some things can be done within hours would take weeks to complete. Bureaucracy is the norm, lazyness or complacency is a big problem that needs to be corrected. Some managers appear to be afraid of discussing problems with unionized employees or confronting those with negative behavior. Some managers are promoted because of working on the job for a long time but many do not have the neccessary management educational level to manage people of the 21 st. century. Many managers do not even have a Bachelor degree. Higher education should be a requirement to be promoted.

Advice to Management

Please get out of your offices and walk around your area of responsibility to talk with your employees to understand their expections of you and remind them your expections of them. It goes both ways. Encourage your employees to work as a team while you are with them, leading them and supporting them.

Other Employee Reviews for County of Santa Clara

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Program Analyst II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the mobility working for the county offers. I've worked in two departments the last 9 years. Transfer opportunities are available frequently in my pay grade.

Cons

It seems some people can coast for years and still be promoted despite their actual job performance. I know of two instances where I lost out on jobs from people who were much less qualified than me, but because of their "experience" meaning time on the job, they were hired. I wish hiring managers could ask for real references and would check HR reports/complaints.

Advice to Management

When funds are available, don't forget to build administrative support along with clinical operations. We have too few people managing too many programs to be viable long term.

2. "Overall, I have enjoyed my time working with the District Attorney's Office."

Current Contractor - Paralegal in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Contractor - Paralegal in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at County of Santa Clara as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have been blessed to work with so many great people who have shared their experience and knowledge with this newcomer. The cases that I have worked on are hardly boring and keep my busy. Unlike working in the private field, the attorneys at the DA's Office are down to earth and very friendly. The benefits are good and I have no reason to complain about the salary.

Cons

Sometimes it can be very stressful to make your deadlines, but that is true for any job in the legal field. Some of the departments can be more draining than others. Hearing the cases of sexual abuse can be hard to hear, but it is a part of the job. You gotta do what you gotta do so the criminals doing the abuse are off the streets. I also feel that more training is necessary.

Advice to Management

Although I understand cross-training is beneficial, I believe giving an employee time to master his/her position (at least a year) before moving departments is necessary.