Covance - Hit the ground running, because this place moves fast! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Covance

"Hit the ground running, because this place moves fast!"

Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If management agrees something is going to happen and it gets funding, it gets done! The culture is open, not very hierarchical. Covance is honest with themselves about where they are good and where they need to do better. Decision making is swift and unequivocal. Deadwood employees have a very short half-life.

Cons

Salary is lower than big pharma because CRO industry margins are lower. Business is more sharply cyclical than pharma so you need to stay alert to sudden changes.

Advice to Management

Keep up your improvements in your Informatics capabillities.

Other Employee Reviews for Covance

"They manage by fear with their employees"

Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Research Assistant I in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and paid time off is good

Cons

Low moral, employees treated with fear from management

"Dont do it if you want to hate your life."

Current Employee - Study Technician in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Study Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at Covance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of the job is the benefits. I make good money and have 21 days of PTO a year, along with getting health benefits from day 1, which a lot of places dont do. Aside from that, there isnt much I like about my job. There is a lot of chances for moving around, shadowing different departments or transferring. Even some "bubble" assignments where you can go work at a different site for a short amount of time. I also LOVED my supervisor, but she was pretty much the best one in the department, I got lucky with her.

Cons

If you are a study tech, expect to work about 60 hours a week, 50 if its "slower" Once you get out of training it really starts getting bad. Large animal means being physically exhausted all the time. I would work, come home, eat, sleep, and then do it all over again. It takes the life out of you so fast! Very stressful, they expect you to run your own studies, along with trying to figure out whats going on in other ones you are scheduled in. There are some really good techs, but there are a lot of not so great ones that you have to make up for. There is a really high turnover rate for techs too. The people aren't the best. Its like high school all over again, lots of clichy-ness, lots of people talk about each other behind their backs.

Advice to Management

Get more study techs!!!! Over working us is not a great way to keep your employees. The "new normal" isn't that great.