Coventry Health Care - Employer is okay but avoid the Medicaid related projects as they are low bid and you work a lot of overtime. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Coventry Health Care

"Employer is okay but avoid the Medicaid related projects as they are low bid and you work a lot of overtime."

Former Employee - Applications Development Programmer in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Applications Development Programmer in Richmond, VA

Pros

The benefits were better than average. The building and location in the city was good. The salary for my position for the area was average to low.

Cons

There are mostly India staff working in their technical departments and many of them are in management position. The India managers do not treat the American workers fairly. The salaries are generally low for that area. I was one of the few Americans working in a group of mostly India H1B employees. I was given additional work to complete by my H1B lead that other India employees were not required to complete as required deliverables for the project. I was given fictious changes to complete by the lead who refused to put the requests in writing so I would have proof that the change request came from him. When I resigned, I was told by one of the other subordinate H1Bs that my lead was 'making up' extra work for me to complete to cause me to miss my deadlines so he could justify letting me go first if there were layoffs so he could save the jobs of the other India workers there. (i.e. A case of reverse descrimination). I complained to the manager who questioned the India lead about his actions, but the India lead denied what he was doing (he lied), there was no investigation of any type, my manager did not inform HR of the my complaint aobut the India lead, so I just looked for another job and resigned when I found another position.

Advice to Management

Make sure your offshore H1B resources/managers working onshore follow the same work ethics/laws as your American workers and don't discrimate against the minority number of Americans working there.

Other Employee Reviews for Coventry Health Care

"Soul-crushing drudgery, Office politics, and Incompetent management ... every day is a real-life Dilbert cartoon."

Current Employee - Applications Dev Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Dev Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Work-life balance (at least, it used to be that way), flexible work hours, so it's a good place for people with small children. Many departments allow one work-from-home day a week, usually after you've been working for six to twelve months. Nothing about the work is particularly challenging, but it's somewhat stable, and (used to be) a great company to work for if you want to go home at 5 o'clock every day. That has, unfortunately, changed recently, but the flex-time values may still exist in different departments. Your experience at Coventry will vary wildly depending on your department and your management. Coventry is a growing company, and is now one of the largest health insurance providers in the country.

Cons

Rudderless management that cannot make decisions, and when they do, they're politically motivated (IT voices tend to be ignored). After spending a month in meetings to come up with these decisions, they're thrown away the following week. Then management complains that nothing gets done. Morale and job satisfaction are low, low, low. A culture of micromanagement is growing, which only serves to sour the employee morale even more. Relations between IT and the Business side are poisonous at best. Business frequently makes wild promises to the clients; when IT cannot break the laws of physics to meet those promises, tech workers get thrown under the bus. A very "corporate" atmosphere ... it'll break your spirit. Think "Officespace". Your compensation package will include an annual bonus, and Coventry will brag that they've paid it out every year. But don't expect to get 100% of it. Management works hard to find any excuse it can to knock that percentage down, and document it up as "your fault". And for a health insurance company, their health benefits are, to be blunt, disappointing.

Advice to Management

Stop treating IT people like a "necessary evil" instead of partners. Changing master plans every month is not "being adaptive" or "being customer-centric" ... it's called "state of chaos".

2. "Decent people; not much management support in a customer service shop"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

Access to home; good hours

Cons

Customer Service environment; difficult systems; not delivering good news

Advice to Management

More time to take calls increases customer satisfaction