Cox Communications - Great company for whom to work, but wish they would be a bit more in the fore front of innovation. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cox Communications

"Great company for whom to work, but wish they would be a bit more in the fore front of innovation."

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Wichita, KS
Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere and the lower and middle management are really accessible. Once you are hired Cox is very loyal to you as an employee and really tries to treat you well.

Cons

Difficult to advance, a lot of times it's more about who you know and brown nose rather than ability.

Advice to Management

Focus on HFC and Fiber advancements and opportunities rather than pie-in-the-sky things like wireless.

Other Employee Reviews for Cox Communications

"Cox is circling the drain...."

Current Employee - Executive Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cox Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Cox reputation with customers and to some degree within the industry is still strong and valued.

Cons

CEO, CFO, and CTO are among the worst in the industry. CEO is emphasizing short term financial performance over ALL long term business imperatives. New extremely heavy business and technical development processes are sapping the life out of any thread of innovation that remains.

All of the good things about the company culture are either gone or in decline.

Advice to Management

Abandon your new matrix organizational nightmare.
    Decentralize decision making.
    Be happy when projects succeed because of solid singular leadership at the top of a project.

"I was a contractor for them for almost 5 yrs"

Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL
    Former Contractor - Triple-play Installation Technician in Ocala, FL

I worked at Cox Communications as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

During the busy seasons I made decent money, but only for a few months in spurts. This job requires a hard shell and a lot of patience. Overall, as long as you do a good job, remain customer friendly and professional then you can make a pretty good living. Drop buries are only required up to 75ft, which is a big plus for contractors.

Cons

The biggest thing I had a problem with is that they are constantly changing the pay scale, which can affect a worker's attitude when they used to get paid to do something, then all of a sudden you tell them they are gonna work for free.
    Also, as with any contractor position, you never know when they will decide to drop the contract, which is what happened to the company I was with and without any form of warning...thanx Cox!

Advice to Management

I've heard that each truck roll costs you about $75. Well that's a lot of wasted money, when your employees go back to one job site 12-15 times, in groups of 4-5 sometimes, and do not resolve any issues. Yet, I have been to several of those situations and wound up solving the customer's problem in a matter of 15 min on average. Your contractors do way more work than your employees, regardless of your denial in this, its a fact. Some of them actually do a better job than your employees and see very little, if any recognition or compensation for it. My advice is to treat them with a little more respect and stop taking away pay codes if you wish to see worker morale improve and a decline in wasted truck rolls (money).
    Running a business in this manner may be the accepted norm, but it is the most asinine way of doing something when you wish to succeed. Being cheap will only wind up costing you more in the long run.