Cracker Barrel - Gift Shop | Glassdoor

"Gift Shop"

Former Employee - Gift Shop Sales in Bourbonnais, IL
Former Employee - Gift Shop Sales in Bourbonnais, IL

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meeting people from all over the world. What awesome people come into Cracker Barrel!

Cons

Based on what the company once was, and how it was run, Cracker Barrel now is not a friendly nor welcoming place to work. It is a place where the staff is required to sell so many items per shift, and make so much $$$ per shift. If the staff doesn't make these quotas, you are written up and or your oh so few weekly hours are cut even more. And what do you get for all of this pressure and stress, a minimum wage and other staff who back stab you for even trying to do well. I would love to say that Cracker Barrel has even remotely an ounce of caring for it's employees, but this is far from the truth, And actually, they get some wonderful people to work for them, but alas they do not stay as there is absolutely no future or enjoyment working for this company. This is definitly not a job for a beginner or a oldster, and sadly, if it keeps going like it is, I don't see a future for this company.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to say because it is corporate that dictates what the management imposes onto the staff. Tha management is greatly stessed as well. This company is not employment friendly!

Other Employee Reviews for Cracker Barrel

"This is not a fast food place!"

Former Employee - Am Restaurant Server in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Am Restaurant Server in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the servers are nice, some management can be nice. 50% off of food during your shift.

Cons

Managers yell at the servers. Orders are treated like a fast food establishment with regards to the food getting out, but the customers treat it like a normal sit down place so they will take their time. Teamwork is forced down your throat to the point where they demand you help someone else...and your tables suffer, meaning lousy tip. Tips average about $3 a table and the only way to
    make any decent amount is to turn those tables as fast as you can. You're constantly on your feet running back and forth, and you constantly get sat while you're off doing something for someone else and then the managers yell at you for not greeting the new table(which you had no idea you had) in 30 sec or less. The Micros setup in convoluted and not logically set up, so it takes forever to get the order in, not to mention you are supposed to memorize the entirety of two full menus in a very short period of time.

Heaven forbid you run back to the break room for a quick drink, that slacking!! Also, with the amount of sidework and silverware rolling you have to do after your shift...plan on being there at least an hour after your shift. And the amount of people you have to check out with before you can leave makes it feel like you're being released from prison.

They will also schedule so many servers you'll be lucky to get 15 hrs a week..less if you're not a butt kissing favorite of the scheduling manager.

Love the food, but don't work there if you can help it!

Advice to Management

Treat you employees like people, not expendable items. Lose the bonus for managers and let sales look after themselves.

2. "Unorganized management, don't give you hours, crap pay, Belleville Michigan"

Current Employee - Retail, Hostess in Belleville, MI
    Current Employee - Retail, Hostess in Belleville, MI

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on food and in the store, nice coworkers. Sell original stuff in the store you can't find anywhere else. Close to my house don't use much gas to get to work.

Cons

I've been employed since Sept. I haven't gotten more then 15 hrs a week. They hire way too many people and don't have enough hours for them to work. They are always behind on giving out the Par tests. You have to keep reminding management for everything. I'll call to talk to a manager, they say they'll call me back and I NEVER get a call back. I got this job for the benefits, I'm almost at my 90 days and you must work at least 24 hrs a week otherwise you pay the difference for the benefits. I highly doubt I'll get 24 hrs a week so I won't be able to afford the benefits. I was mislead during interview & orientation. They said I could get my 25-30 hrs I requested to work. I should've listened to the other employees when I started. They told me to RUN and that management lies.. How can someone live off of less then $8 an hour with 10-15 hrs a week!!?? Quit hiring all these low life's and give the employees willing to work a bunch of hours a chance to work! They have a huge turn over, so why waste their time on new hires, when they'll just quit anyway. I want more hours!

Advice to Management

Let your good employees get more hours!