Cracker Barrel - A decent place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cracker Barrel

"A decent place to work."

Current Employee - Am Restaurant Server in North Canton, OH
Current Employee - Am Restaurant Server in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

99% of the management is compassionate towards their employees. I had some personal issues that I had to deal with shortly after I started with them. The management staff willingly transferred me to another store. Over all a good company to work for.

Cons

My cons would be a-lot of trial and error. Some times management expects you to just take them at their word instead of getting clarification. It seems to be very little communication between management.

Advice to Management

Communication! Communication is key talk to the employees see how things is going with them.

Other Employee Reviews for Cracker Barrel

1. "Wonderful Management and Awesome Work Environment"

Former Employee - Waitress in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Waitress in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management at the Shallowford Road Cracker Barrel in Chattanooga, TN is top-notch. They treat you with respect while helping you achieve the most you can with the job. They are extremely supportive and you can rely on them to be there when you need them. Also, they work with you during those stressful times on the job. They will roll up their sleeves and pitch in to get the work done and serve the customers in the best way possible. The management and team work mentality create a nurturing work environment that allows servers to complete their tasks and maintain great customer service. The STAR reward program is a great incentive for the servers.

Cons

It can be stressful and chaotic at times with the number of menu items and the combinations of food. Also, the promise of having certain items to the table in a set amount of time can be extremely overwhelming. The dress code is limiting, but I understand the need for it to be in place.

Advice to Management

Check out how the managers run the Cracker Barrel at Shallowford Rd. in Chattanooga, TN. When I worked there about 4 years ago, they were awesome and would be great models for the rest of the company.

2. "Server Hostess"

Former Employee - Server and Hostess in Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Server and Hostess in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Cracker Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If someone walks out or sends back food or if food is dropped you do not have it taken out of your pay. Also the discount is decent.
    Hourly pay increases as you Par up or get another star.

Cons

Be prepared to feel like you're in middle school all over again. And good luck ever getting a decent shift. When you're hired you're filed as either morning and night staff. In the year and a half that I worked for them never did my schedule deviate from that. Also be prepared to work holiday's (except Christmas, it's the one day a year they're closed)
    Have fun ever trying to get silverware at the end of your shift. Which you can't leave until you've done a pan or two.
    Pay is horrible but what else do you expect from a job where your pay is tips? The people of Statesboro are backwoods and stingy with their money. They want all this food and what you to run your ass off to barely get 10% . Occasionally you'll get really nice people who realize that you're working you butt off for rent money but they are far and few.
    You're supposed to consistently take tests to prove you're knowledge of your job. You'll pass unless you're mother smoked crack while she was pregnant with you and then when you were born constantly bashed your head into the wall. They're extremely easy, the problem is your ETC has no idea when you're supposed to take them and when you remind them they start moving papers around "looking" for the information but are basically just wasting your time hoping they'll take too long and you'll get fed up and leave.

Oh and when your store manager hears that you're leaving for better opportunities he'll talk about how incredible you are and what opportunities you have with the company - aka none.

Advice to Management

You are a manager at a small town restaurant with no college degree. Stop thinking you're better than your staff who is comprised of 80% college students and 20% deadend older folks. At least we're working to better our lives you could also stop with that horrible comb-over. You're not fooling anyone.