Crate and Barrel - Working atCrate & Barrel is ike working in a candy store with a large group of neat people in a really chic environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Crate and Barrel

"Working atCrate & Barrel is ike working in a candy store with a large group of neat people in a really chic environment."

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, good people, great discount. Reasonable and friendly management. Good Times!

Cons

4 years = $9.71 /hr., snobby customers (that's it, really!)

Advice to Management

The stockroom reorganization and merchandise reorganization has taken far too long to implement. There should have been a very clear, concise action to move and reorient the stock room. The design of each store's stockroom move should have been coordinated with the store management first - before one new home was made or label was changed.
As a construction project manager in my primary work I have survived the last year of stockroom changes with my mind intact, but it really took some work. A whole reclassification of the company's inventory and physical changes to the stockroom right before Christmas? That was brave. To not have a fully coordinated system ready before moving from the old system? Brash, I think. Perhaps more intra-organizational planning beforehand.

I do love my job, though, and thank you for it!

Other Employee Reviews for Crate and Barrel

1. "The most well run retailer I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Crate and Barrel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Roles, responsibilities clearly defined. Procedures clear, good training. Well thought out systems. Great product, good people. Always promotes from within.

Cons

Pay a little low, although starting pay for entry level associates very competitive. currently due to reorganization, tough to move up.

Advice to Management

Keep an open mind for hiring externally. Although I agree that the stores run well because the managers worked their way up and know how things are done, maybe management trainees would be a good compromise. You lose a lot of great talent with great experience who can't afford or are unwilling to start at the bottom.

"Great at first, then the true colors show.....it is dark,"

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Crate and Barrel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people. The discount. Only real pro is having a job.

Cons

Bad workers. They ask way too much for 9.50 an hour. They don't care about anyone. People do whatever it takes to bring the attention off of themselves. A lot of backstabbing. Managers don't know how to talk to people. Always talking down to people. Whole management team is full of incompetent humans. Although I am being generous calling them humans. This store doesn't want anyone to succeed. They want to milk workers for everything they can. When you have an idea to better the store you become an enemy. They think you are being non compliant.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Fire everyone in management and start over. But good luck. This company won't be around in 5 years